Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

24 November Lunar Mosaic

WolfieGlos

First attempt at creating a mosaic of the lunar disc, taken on 24th November.

3x panels, 50% stacked of 2000 frames per panel. Gain 252.

ASI-585mc + Starfield 102ed.

Stacked in Autostakkert with 1.5x drizzle. Processed in Siril and GIMP.

134ab-24-11-23-NovemberLunarMosaic.thumb.jpg.4470504dbbe0973a565b11de95d0445a.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, John_D said:

Very nice. Something like this is on my to-do list as well 😁 Are there any specific techniques you use for matching the exposures between each panel?

Thanks John!

All I did was set my camera to capture 2000 frames, and then once done, manually panned with EQMOD to the next panel. I probably could have got away with just 2 panels, but wanted to ensure the overlap was suitable.

I joined the 3 panels together with Hugin, and there are various options to choose for blending them together (I think I used fused, but didn't notice any difference with other options). As the captures are on the same night, minutes apart, I didn't consider there would be much difference between exposures; unlike DSO imaging where the bright Moon levels between different nights of imaging can make a big difference. Good luck when you try it 🙂

• Thanks 1