NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Used HEQ5 Pro - a good 2nd hand option?

Hi All,

I’m quite new to this, but looking to upgrade from my EQ3-2 tripod and mount to a used HEQ5 Pro so as to have go to functionality and more options for having a go at imaging.

My question is whether a 2nd hand one could be a good bet and what potential problems to look out for.

I’d be grateful for any knowledge and advice.

Thanks 👍

Hello Newey and welcome to the site.

A very interesting question and one I have wondered about myself on the upgrade path. I suppose question number one has to be have you seen or can you see it operating? If its remote, I would ask the seller for a short film showing it driving to a target from the handset together with a few pictures, it won’t be a cheap item even used so its not too much to ask for.

A comfort factor exists in that a complete kit of parts is available should the motors, circuit board or handset fail, not cheap though; I've no idea if items are available separately, so after that its all down to budget.

All the best and hope it works out for you. 

My HEQ5 Pro is going on 6 years old now and is starting to show a lot of rust in places like the counterweights, nyloc nuts etc, so that is worth bearing in mind although purely aesthetic unless the nuts rust through, which is likely quite a few more years away. Should be cheap to repair however.

I haven't noticed any changes in mount performance though. It performs exactly as it did 6 years ago (I did do a rowan belt upgrade last year, internals seemed untouched but are mostly brass, which would explain why).

I think a truly bad example of a use HEQ5 would be one with electrical issues or that has been hit/dropped with the clutches engaged, as that could damage the 705:1 gearing system.

I don't know if bearing damage is likely since they are rather large and most bearings are rated for very high speed, and the bearings in this are unlikely to exceed single digit RPM.

If the main board is dead you can replace it however, although at a cost of £150 (much less than the mount however) and if the motors are not working properly they can be found for likely £20-40 a pop as they are totally normal stepper motors.

I hope this helps.