SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Having a crack at Pixinsight

I've been watching a few tutorials the last couple days in the hopes of learning my way round Pixinsight. As far as producing an image goes, I'm happy enough. However, I'm fairly decent with Photoshop and if this was the result I'd be kicking myself! Strange background, blown stars, but otherwise it seems I've managed to keep hold of the dust and colours. I couldn't really tell you what the workflow was here, if you could even call it that, but I used DBE, SXT/NXT and played around with the curves a little.

First is Pixinsight, second is Photoshop, and a side by side screenshot from my laptop (speaking of which - am I being silly to expect Pixinsight to run efficiently on a laptop? It's an ASUS Vivobook, Core i7, Nvidia Geforce RTX, OLED screen etc?)

Pleiades_Pix_First.thumb.png.57055950214691b8beab05cbb27da670.png

PleiadesM45.thumb.png.ef9d9d45ec4d9c351f08c700bc8600ff.png

Screenshot(19).thumb.png.9c765a092d1d51c2e8b0ccd31be0d59a.png

• Like 2

Lovely image.

You’ll be able to better control the stars in Pixinsight with the Generalised Hyperbolic Stretch script. https://ghsastro.co.uk

Or alternatively remove them with Starnet or Starxterminator and stretch them separately.

Also Pixinsight does use a lot of PC power, I upgraded to an I9 Core 24 earlier in the year which is infinitely better than my previous machine but some processes can still take a while.

Edited by Scooot
  • Like 1