Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

East side or West side? The Veil

Icesheet

Another target I haven't paid much attention to previously. Clear skies with a nearly full moon turned my attention to the Veil nebula for the first time. I imaged it for 3.5hrs with the Askar FRA400 and ASI2600MC but I didn't think the widefield image was so appealing, so I cropped to the West and East side of the Veil despite losing some apparent resolution. I found it hard not to push the saturation too much on these. I still think I've maybe gone too far, what do you think?

VeilWestcrop_black_noise_colour.thumb.jpg.53d40be0cbded6102f36e39f873378a3.jpg

VeilEastcrop_black_noise_colour_reduce.thumb.jpg.ca3be979a1f6ae9d10eab647905424ee.jpg

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Icesheet said:

Here's the widefield for reference...

VeilWidefield_abe_color.thumb.jpg.5f86bf316c0a29ad1f22cf6d1a5949ea.jpg

I like them all.

BTW, cropping, of itself, has no effect on resolution. In daytime photography there is a careless tendency to confuse pixel count with resolution but they are not at all the same thing.

Olly

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

I like them all.

BTW, cropping, of itself, has no effect on resolution. In daytime photography there is a careless tendency to confuse pixel count with resolution but they are not at all the same thing.

Olly

Thanks ☺️ 

Yeah, I did actually know this. The word ‘apparent’ was my lazy attempt at acknowledging it. Funny you should mention daytime photography. I just watched a video where a very popular landscape photographer discussed resolution in this context and it annoyed me enough to comment on his video. I’ll need to be clearer next time!

Edited by Icesheet