NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eyepiece projection with a zwo camera

M40

Due to the limited time between clouds we have all been suffering from, I am trying to speed up something I have been thinking about, so any help would be much appreciated.

I tend to do a touch of visual using Baader eyepieces which have an m43 thread when you remove the eyepiece rubber, this enables an adapter to be used for eyepiece projection. My plan is to bolt a zwo 385mc camera to the eyepiece at the end of visual play.

So my question is, what would be a good starting dimension between eyepiece and camera sensor?

Looking at the Baader info, they suggest anything between 55mm plus 20 to 40mm for a dslr. I've also seen a calculation using eyepiece to sensor distance and eyepiece focal length to calculate magnification so I suppose that asks the question is the dimension between eyepiece and camera sensor important other than for magnification?

Ps, I can hear you all saying just use the zwo camera, but that would be too easy 😉

Thanks for your thoughts

I've tried doing what you describe with my Baader Hyperion Zoom and IMX585 (Player One Uranus-C) camera, thinking that it might give me more magnification and the ability to use optical zoom. I tried the combination in daylight and noticed significant distortion and vignetting at the edges and corners of the image, so much so that I didn't bother pointing at the stars and went back to using the camera alone, and accepting that I would not be able to zoom.

I still have the required adapter and would be interested to hear what others have to say about the eyepiece projection method.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, M40 said:

Can you remember any dimensions that you used? 

I'm afraid I can't remember what spacer I used, but I do remember that there was a formula for calculating the magnification for a given spacer, on the Baader website I think.

At the time I was quite disappointed by the experience and came to the conclusion that using a camera with anything other than the Moon or bright planets needed quite a fast scope and therefore no extra magnification which is what eyepiece projection seems to offer.