Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Problems with binoculars tripod

I've been stargazing for a few months already using mainly a pair of binoculars that I had. I was looking for better equipment especially for stabilizing the image.

I bought a cheap tripod with a ball head and a binoculars adaptor and it seemed like a good idea at first but now I see some problems:

1. It's very hard, if not impossible to see thigs that are right above me. Anything higher than 45 degrees up in the sky has me bend my neck and body in very uncomfortable positions. Looking at things that are right above me is basically impossible since my chin would eventually touch the tripod.

2. The image is still shaky. Better than nothing but far from what I expected. From what I've seen the smallest contact I have with the binoculars (even if it's just my eyebrows touching it) makes the image shaky because of my tiny natural head movements (caused by heartbeats usually). I have to sit somewhat away from the binoculars and not touch it at all for the image to be stable, which is pretty weird and results in a bad image.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or is there something wrong with the equipment or if I need something else. 

I'm looking for some feedback and eventual recommendations and I wanna know if a binoculars view can truly be stable (and comfortable) as well as a telescope one is.

Using a lower power binocular, like 7x, hand held can help with keeping them stable. I have a pair of 6.5x32 and they are easily handheld. Larger straight through binoculars on tripods, as you have found, are difficult to view through when pointed high up. The options are a parallelogram mount perched over a reclining chair or some larger 90deg binoculars mounted on a fork alt-az. There are binoculars with active image stabilization but they are very costly.

Edited by Franklin
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, RT65CB-SWL said:

Hi @Razvann and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

I use a pistol grip and monopod or tripod for my 7x50’s and 20x80’s :bino2:

post-4682-0-36306500-1445866821_thumb.jpg<— 7x50

post-4682-0-32308400-1445866920_thumb.jpg<— 20x80

Thanks for the advice! Whereas this would most likely solve the comfort and looking-straight-up issue I wonder if the image stays stable when you look through them (and touch the binoculars inevitably). I'm curious if the support is strong enough to negate tiny head movements (which would lead to a shaky image). 

My tripod is rather cheap and it was probably never meant for such high magnitudes. It has decent stability but it is probably more suitable for a camera than for long reaching binoculars.

I have some mobility problems with my neck / shoulder when trying to look above 50° or so.  Short of lying on my back with bouncy handheld bios or buying a parallelogram mount, I recently found that I can lean back a fair distance in a stiff-backed observing chair when using my 15x70s on a tripod with a fluid head.  A key is that my tripod has a center elevator column that I can crank up or down.

Sometimes I lean the tripod back toward me on two legs like a bipod so I can lean farther back.  I find that to be steadier than my earlier experiences with a monopod.

Edited by jjohnson3803