NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher dual drive - Enhanced v non-enhanced

Hi Guys

Can someone please explain to me what the difference is between the Skywatcher EQ3-2 enhanced dual motor drive and the non-enhanced version, in practical terms. I've been doing some digging on the internet but can't find anything that explains what you get extra with the enhanced version.

Cheers

That's correct, the enhanced version has an ST-4 port for guiding and x16 sidereal as opposed to the x8 sidereal of the standard version. If you're just doing visual you only need the single axis RA drive really.

Also, just for your info, these types of drives run from a 6vDC battery pack which is supplied with the kit. They work equally well from a 5vDC USB powerbank, like what you charge a phone with.

Edited by Franklin

Thanks.

I have to "consider" my budget (don't we all) and I can't ever see me being able to afford a guide camera, so I don't think I'll be needing the ST-4 port.

I'm quite new to this hobby, but, assuming we ever get decent skys my plan is to do some astrophotography, mainly the moon and planets but don't envisage too much deep-sky stuff.

So, I think I'll need both motors for this. Yes?

Based on that will the un-enhanced version give me all I need?

If you want to do deep-sky imaging, you'd want the enhanced version with the ST-4 port, otherwise you'd be limited to short exposures.

If you just want to do planetary imaging, you could manage with the single-motor version as the exposure times will be short.  

I actually had the single-motor version on my EQ-5, and I found it awkward to have the RA slow-motion worked electrically, and the Dec slow-motion mechanical with the control in a different place.  It would probably have been more convenient to have both controls on one handset.

12 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

.... you'd want the enhanced version with the ST-4 port, otherwise you'd be limited to short exposures.

Thanks

Just to check my understanding, I'd thought that the ST-4 port is only for use with a guide camera, which I won't be getting.

Is that correct or it be guided by other things (e.g. a laptop)?

Cheers

1 hour ago, Samop said:

Thanks

Just to check my understanding, I'd thought that the ST-4 port is only for use with a guide camera, which I won't be getting.

Is that correct or it be guided by other things (e.g. a laptop)?

Cheers

Guiding can either be done with an actual guide scope and camera or an off axis guider and camera installed in your imaging train. Both these methods will require some form of computer be it a laptop, Asiair etc.