The Scream (Sh2-92) through a dual band filter

gorann

The moon is up and conspiring so last weekend I had the NBZ filters on my dual-RASA8 rig. I am still fiddling around Vulpecula and its Ha nebulae and dark dust. This is the only time of the year that Vulpecula is a bit above my horizon. The scream is often depicted in Hubble like palettes so I though it would be interesting to see what it looks like through the more RGB like data from the NBZ filter (mainly Ha and Oiii). So here it is.

During 5 hours I got 120 x 5 min, so totally 10 hours before hitting the treeline (the benefit of a dual rig).

RASA8 and ASI2600MC with IDAS NBZ filter on a Mesu 200.

Cheers, Göran

20230930 Sh2-92 RASA1+2 PS14smallSign.jpg

Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 10.38.17.png

• Like 7

Oh, that is interesting. I guess the scream is the feature up to, and its a good name for that object - looks just like the picture in shape.

The wavy dark dust feature under the scream reminded me of an image I took last year, below. I guess am just starting to see the scream at the top of the image, but never knew about it until now. Nice to see where all the Ha is located too.

5a7fa3a0-ace5-422b-8ec8-b45afad5c69c.thumb.jpg.356d6a06ba3d871d5911034f843c24ad.jpg

Edited by GalaxyGael

13 minutes ago, GalaxyGael said:

Oh, that is interesting. I guess the scream is the feature up to, and its a good name for that object - looks just like the picture in shape.

The wavy dark dust feature under the scream reminded me of an image I took last year, below. I guess am just starting to see the scream at the top of the image, but never knew about it until now. Nice to see where all the Ha is located too.

5a7fa3a0-ace5-422b-8ec8-b45afad5c69c.thumb.jpg.356d6a06ba3d871d5911034f843c24ad.jpg

Yes, you have a faint scream there but I think you need a Ha filter, or one like NBZ that picks up Ha and Oiii, to make it stand out. So not a great RGB object. In fact all the images I have seen of it on Astrobin are NB images and mine is among the most "RGB like". I think a benefit with dual-band filters and OSC is that the result gives an RGB impression and can be processed just like an RGB image.

Indeed, I might try that sometime in the future. I was more interested in the dark structures and the nice golden starfield in my case and I did not know about the scream at all, but its nice to see what else is there from your image with some extra signal in the ionized emission lines. Might be nice to layer the dense starfield image with narrower band data sometime perhaps.

• Like 1