NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WebCam for collimation

rjsc2001

Hi all

I'm looking for a cheap webcam that can be used for collimation and use one of the programs that sets some circles on the screen

My question is about the webcam to use. I could use anyone out there with low resolution, but many don't allow to change the focus in windows which i think it's the most important feature, and i'm looking for one that has it enabled.

Do you know one webcam that you are sure that feature is available?

Thanks

How do you intend to mount the webcam.  Collimation requires the cap/laser/camera to be centrally in the focus, and parallel to the focus travel.  Most astro cameras that either come with adapters or are machined to standard eyepiece sizes naturally don't have any lenses so focusing has to be done through the telescopes focusing mechanism.

The only webcam that I know that  has been know to work with the method of collimation  you describe is the  MS Lifecam.  These are around £50 from Amazon

This process was first described by Dion (of the old Astronomy Shed over 11 years ago