NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

LDN 792 The Pigtail Nebula next to Sh2-88

gorann

This is a quite rarely imaged dark nebula from the Lynds' Catalogue, situated next to Sh2-88 in the Sharpless catalogue, which also is relatively rarely imaged. There are two interesting yellowish objects next to Sh2-88 that I am unsure of what they could be, but may have the designations LBN 137 and 138 (although the annotations of these are a bit on the side). From the few images of LDN 792 I found on Astrobin I see the nickname "The Pigtail Nebula", so I adopted that although I cannot really see the similarity.

Dual RASA8 rig with ASI2600MC and no filter. 148 x 3 min, so about 7.5 hours. Processed in PI and PS including all the XTerminator tools.

Cheers, Göran

20230923 LDN792 RASA1+2 PS13smallSign.jpg

Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 11.20.04.png

• Like 12

A processing experiment: I was not totally happy with how the dark nebulosity stood out. Now, more or less by accident I added the star layer as "Color dodge" rather than "Screen" in PS. Much more nebulosity suddenly to be seen and I kind of liked it. But it suppressed the stars a bit too much so I did add a bit of star layer also as "Screen" but only at 50% visibility:

20230923 LDN792 RASA1+2 PS17smallSign.jpg

• Like 2