Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn and Jupiter 15/09

WolfieGlos

So this was my first time ever capturing the planets...with a refractor too, so go easy on me 😁

It was a different challenge to my usual DSO imaging, and despite some difficulties of achieving focus and getting used to the incredibly small FOV with a 2x barlow, it was both fun and really exciting seeing the planets appear on screen for the first time!

Played with different resolutions and ROI capturing several videos of both targets, the below being the best of those captures, but the main thing I'll need to look at in my setup is that it was only capturing at circa 15fps. However for a first attempt I'm pretty happy with the result, and of course any comments welcome to help me improve 🙂 

Another thing I need to do, is to stop looking at other peoples images to stop me getting scope envy 🤣 Having done a little research, I'm considering a 127 mak in due course for this type of imaging, but if anyone has any other recommendations I'm all ears.

Below images captured with a Starfield 102 ED + 2x Barlow + 585mc + UV/IR cut

Captured and stacked with ASI Studio, processed in Siril.

Saturn 15/09 - 75% stacked from a 5:45 capture - Titan just visible

2023-09-15-2323_2-CapObj_Planet_75.thumb.jpg.5b2b8b19fdf1422c3740fe394cd7f801.jpg

Saturn 15/09, with Rhea and Titan overexposed and brushed in via GIMP. I believe the solitary dot to the left side is actually a star.

2023-09-15-2323_2-CapObj_Planet_75_Moons.thumb.jpg.8bea2f9d771ad2f16caeeae90bdc9f8c.jpg

Jupiter 16/09 morning, with Callisto, Ganymede, Europa and Io. 50% stacked from a 3 minute capture

2023-09-16-0259_5-CapObj_Planet_50.thumb.jpg.1aa71fb3e5fc225f3c4a2f04e119a7b2.jpg

Edited by WolfieGlos
  • Like 5

Hi Chris, your images are already good. Jupiter, in particular, came out very well, and the processing looks quite natural, which I like.

You should try to see if you can capture at more than 15 frames per second so that you can be more selective in the percentage of frames to stack.

I'm not sure if a Mak 127 would make a significant difference compared to your refractor, which seems to be a good optic. Since you have an HEQ5 available, you might consider an 8-inch or perhaps even something around 10 inch, like a C9.25. That's when you would see a notable increase in achievable resolution. Anyway, I would continue practicing with your current setup, as it can still produce beautiful images!

Edited by Maurizio83
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Maurizio83 said:

Hi Chris, your images are already good. Jupiter, in particular, came out very well, and the processing looks quite natural, which I like.

You should try to see if you can capture at more than 15 frames per second so that you can be more selective in the percentage of frames to stack.

I'm not sure if a Mak 127 would make a significant difference compared to your refractor, which seems to be a good optic. Since you have an HEQ5 available, you might consider an 8-inch or perhaps even something around 10 inch, like a C9.25. That's when you would see a notable increase in achievable resolution. Anyway, I would continue practicing with your current setup, as it can still produce beautiful images!

Thanks Maurizio! It was only wavelets, SCNR and a brightness boost in Siril to get those results, so I'm happy with your comments 🙂

As I used ASI Studio, could this be why I only had 15 fps? I've read a few time about high-speed mode, but I see no option for it. It could also be my 7.5m active USB3 cable going to a USB2 port, something which I know I need to rectify but I was surprised it was recording that slowly. I have an old spare laptop with a USB3 port, so might wipe it and see what difference it makes.

That's interesting, I was always under the impression that refractors were generally not preferred for planetary imaging. I did originally consider a 6" RC for galaxy imaging instead of the 102ED, but was put off by the collimation and the slow speed for DSO. 8" and above in any type of scope seemed to be a bit much for the HEQ5 to handle, but I was only looking at it from a DSO imaging perspective. But yes, the intention is to keep practising and see what I can do with my current setup 🙂

Even only with wavelets and a few other tools it is already possible to ruin the image. So you've used these "few" tools well!

Maybe the problem is the USB2 port. I would try using a short cable and a USB3 port at home to see if you can achieve high fps in line with your camera's specifications.

APO refractors are probably not widely used for high-resolution photography, not because of limitations in their optics (more likely the opposite), but because it's challenging to handle such kind of telescopes with a large diameter. In the end, diameter is a fundamental variable for achieving the maximum resolution.

Yes, the definition of mount stability differs significantly between DSO and high-resolution imaging. For several years, I used a C8 on an EQ5/CG5 mount (which is less capable than yours), and although it wasn't rock-solid, it worked reasonably well for planetary imaging.

Edited by Maurizio83
  • Like 1

Agreed, wavelets can be overdone and it took a bit of refining, but I don't like images being over-sharpened and ruined with contrast - so it sounds like we're on the same page there :) 

That's interesting you used a C8 on an EQ5, that's definitely some food for thought. Looking at your Flickr, you have some great images and Mars looks very detailed. I think that's beyond my scope, but one for the future.