NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cygnus Loop components in NB

symmetal

I've reprocessed the data that was showing bad flares from a nearby star as the original was stretched too hard and also clipping some of the blue nebulosity. I've posted a half size version in the Summer Triangle Challenge, 😊 so I've posted full size versions of the three main parts here, along with a half size annotation.

I've used a 50:50 SHO and Foraxx palette, as along with the yellows and blues in the nebula it gives star colours that don't look out of place. The flares were easily hidden using the 'Patch' tool in PS as well as they didn't show so much with the reduced stretch.

Total of 1 hour of each filter. RASA 11v2 on EQ8, ASI6200MM with Astronomik FastFR filters. Processed in PI and PS. Original data was binned by 2 before processing to keep the image size down, and improve S/N, so it's shown here at 2.5" per pixel. The annotation was done before I treated the flares it seems, so they are present there though not as obtrusive as before.

Eastern Veil

EasternVeil.thumb.jpg.4eba3b7b8f37322ee7b77e500307a1f9.jpg

Western Veil

WesternVeil.thumb.jpg.35cbc24bceddad66ab592fba13a1eb13.jpg

Pickering's Triangle

PickeringsTriangle.thumb.jpg.36fbd21c592062dd429a5d23d994a32b.jpg

CygnusLoopAnnotated.thumb.jpg.eaa20c43d60c9944e8332b93d185234d.jpg

Alan

• Like 15

Very impressive - I like the colour rendering.  The normal blue/red mix eveyone uses doesn't really work for me, this is much better!  The detail of the Witch on the Broom is very delicate.  The fullsize FoV is humungous. That RASA is working v well indeed, I can't believe only an 1 hour per filter.

Simon

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, windjammer said:

Very impressive - I like the colour rendering.  The normal blue/red mix eveyone uses doesn't really work for me, this is much better!  The detail of the Witch on the Broom is very delicate.  The fullsize FoV is humungous. That RASA is working v well indeed, I can't believe only an 1 hour per filter.

Simon

Thanks. Yes, to me, the usual red and blue renditions make me think they're two misregistered images on top of each other which is rather jarring. It seems like adding the SII layer gives a bigger range of colours, which helps blend them all together, although at first glance the SII didn't look much different to the Ha. A full frame camera lets you bin the data, so less exposure time's needed, and still end up with a large size image.

I think the RASA 11 was a very good choice in the end. I was in two minds over the cost but it lets you complete a multi-filter mosaic in one session. With the weather here in the UK this is a huge bonus. Changing filters is quick and easy too compared to the RASA 8.

Alan