NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Old M31, new tricks

Horwig

I've been meaning to go back and have another look at the Andromeda Galaxy I imaged from Olly's place in France in 2015, I was wondering how it would look with the advances in processing software that the years have produced.

I hadn't kept the linear luminance, so this is processed from the stretched but otherwise un-processed Luminance, the original LHaRGB was used as colour data.

Here's the original

2015.thumb.jpg.f39132ea759a253afdc5be0fb18e28e3.jpg

and the rework

LHaRGB-2023c_flat.thumb.jpg.3a05064f8ad9fd5f5b6f47d261f4fe13.jpg

The original was processed by Olly in all kinds of software

The new version was processed in PI and Photoshop, with use of Russel Croman's 'X' plugins in both. At this size, I'll admit there's not much difference, the magic is in 100% crops, it's worth expanding these to full screen to see the detail pop

Original

LHaRGB-2015-crop.thumb.jpg.e96215bbb151ac7af15c55cd4a8ecb01.jpg

Rework

LHaRGB-2023c-crop.thumb.jpg.ce06f93a9b2c60a560bf78ab364e6786.jpg

The original had large doses of local contrast enhance to bring out detail, in the rework, after BlurXTerminator, no sharpening was applied, but a pass with NoiseXTerminator smoothed everything out.

Now if only I had some clear skies to get new data to process

Huw

• Like 11

Detail is better on the rework, but i have to say i overall prefer the original with its pleasing colour palette.

The rework looks a bit too blue, and too saturated in general with specifically the Ha regions harshly contrasting against the surroundings. Still a damn good M31 i should say.

22 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Detail is better on the rework, but i have to say i overall prefer the original with its pleasing colour palette.

The rework looks a bit too blue, and too saturated in general with specifically the Ha regions harshly contrasting against the surroundings. Still a damn good M31 i should say.

Just goes to show, Olly is the master at processing, I agree that the rework is a tad more saturated, but what is interesting is the use of HDRMultiscaleTransform in PI, whilst it helps with bringing out dust lanes, it's lost that really smooth transition between the galaxy's outer reaches and the background of space.

Ho hum, I need more practice.