SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Minimum eyepiece for deep space objects?

sophh6699

4 hours ago, sophh6699 said:

wow i love those photos !! What telescope did you use? i’m thinking about selling the scope i have right now and possibly just getting one that’s already got the tracking and everything included. Is there any specific software you could recommend for this? Also if I get a fully automatic scope will i need the guide camera still? Thank you :)

Something like the ZWO Seestar, Dwarflabs Dwarf2, Unistellar Evscope, Vaonis Stellina are all automated scopes so don't require a separate guide camera and guidescope, some quick minor manual alignment is required before you can use them but what I've seen of the newest product (Seestar) you don't even have to align it (reserve judgement until proper reviews are out). Your milage with these will vary as they are all in essence out the box alt az mounts so they are limited in their individual exposure times, they are however designed for Electronic Assisted Astronomy (EAA) or camera assisted visual, you can save the images and edit them after if you err more on the AP side. The benefit of these is their "plonk and play" nature.

The lower the focal length of your optics, the easier or more forgiving tracking can be, larger equipment also act like wind sails and a slight breeze can ruin your individual exposures, Newtonian are notorious for this unless you have a solid (ie relatively pricey mount and sturdy tripod) or have side shielding from wind gusts (walls/observatory).

Software is subjective, people use what suits their imaging and automated equipment or what they have at hand. My first image above was taken with the default alt az tracking of the azgti, I used the Synscan Pro mobile app to issue a goto command to M31 Andromeda, centred the target with the mount controls then told the mount to track (all after manually aligning the mount to true north and levelling the tripod), the camera was taking exposures with an intervalometer, so overall minimum equipment.

Soon after I took that photo I bought a ZWO Asiair which is a raspberry pi based on board mini computer which has in built software so you can (focus routine, polar alignment routine, preview, create imaging plan, live view and stack like EAA etc), you are however tied to using ZWO cameras and automation equipment other than the mount which can be any common available goto mount. Many people don't like being tied to ZWO as their cameras are typically more expensive than other options, I did my research prior and felt they'd be no issue with using ZWO and the fact that the airs also supported my Canon. Investing in the air I think may be the top of the list item which transformed my AP as it took a lot of headache out of the equation, I didn't want to use a computer outside and also I put thought into when I take my equipment to a dark site so theres less to take with me, less battery requirement (so more portable and lighter batteries), I could use a computer I normally have with me most times (my phone) to control it all. Note, currently the latest app version (v2.1) and the associated firmware for the asiairs isn't brilliant, I've had numerous issues since the end of 2022, but prior to that it was working excellently, I've managed a work around so continue to use them with minimal fuss.

Some people prefer using a computer they have at hand so are happy to use mostly free software like NINA or APT, the larger screens on using an actual computer is sometimes a plus for the individual. By using a solution like this there's also the freedom of using any brand of equipment you like, but also comes with setting it up which usually isn't an issue.

Other on board mini computers include a mini PC with the likes of NINA etc loaded and controlling or a raspberry pi with Astroberry or Stellarmate doing the same.

You'd have to put some thought into what you plan to achieve, your budget, your immediate requirement, your future requirement and intended purchases and decide what suits YOUR requirement.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 2

On 24/08/2023 at 14:23, Elp said:

you'd have to adjust the sidereal rate depending on the focal length you're imaging at,

Can you explain. Sidereal rate is the speed of the sky rotation and doesn’t change.🤔.

1 minute ago, bosun21 said:

Can you explain. Sidereal rate is the speed of the sky rotation and doesn’t change.🤔.

All the setups I've used you can adjust the sidereal rate like something like 0.5x, 0.75x, 0.8x 0.9x etc.

If I set mine close to 1x I get star trailing/lines. I believe it's there for adjustment, I typically use around 0.75-0.9 imaging around 300-400mm FL. Imaging at 1000mm it becomes more critical.

Edited by Elp

Just now, Elp said:

If I set mine to 1x I get star trailing/lines. I believe it's there for adjustment, I typically use around 0.75-0.9 imaging around 300-400mm FL. Imaging at 1000mm it becomes more critical.

I’ll have to look into this. We live and learn.