Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My AZT6 - with some small issues and some small tweaks

Bivanus

I've been eying the AZT6mount from TS for quite some time. For several months, I think more that six at this time , the AZT6-LHALTER bracket (https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p10777_TS-Optics--Adapterplatte-fuer-azimutale-Montierungen-mit-perfektem-Gewichtsausgleich.html) that does the due and makes it hold up to 8 kg ( allegedly) was missing. Last week , on Friday , it FINALLY appeared like it's back in stock. Que me ordering it pronto ! Alas ...quickly an email from Stefan at Teleskop Express disabused me of that notion. It seems there was an error , I quote : "The mount has been out of stock for some time, but was mistakenly shown as ready to ship in the online store. I deeply apologize for any inconveniences caused. The issue is that we have been waiting and are still waiting for the AZT6-LHALTER to be delivered. According to the manufacturer, we ought to receive it in mid-September 2023. However, its delivery has been postponed several times so far. Wuld you be interested in another similar mount or would you prefer a refund? Please let me know how you would like us to proceed with your order."

Shooks ! Well, money already sent , and with the postponement of the postponement already happening a couple of times I've chosen the L Bracket instead (https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p7917_TS-Optics-L-Bracket-for-binoculars-and-spotting-scopes.html) It arrived yesterday and today I've got the time to put it together. 

The mount is delivered with a single clamping screw , I prefer double shoe clamps  so I've replaced it with the big sister from the same line so no issues with screw holes or anything. Also , an identical clamp is used on the LBracket to hold the scope (I intend to use it with the 102mm f/7 too...yeah, I know... ) From the EQ6R I've borrowed the counterweight shaft extension - it fits perfectly - and from the brick-a-brack box I've found a 1.8 kg counterweight. 

Did a bit of window sightseeing to judge the way it moves. I like it , smooth in both axes after a bit of tweaking  to find the weight sweet spot. Also , with the 72ED , the SW semi-column and the photo tripod I can lift it one handedly and run with it (😄 please note I did not detailed for how long....)

AZT6 LBracket Counterweight (1).jpeg

AZT6 LBracket Counterweight (2).jpeg

AZT6 LBracket Counterweight (3).jpeg

AZT6 LBracket Counterweight (4).jpeg

AZT6 LBracket Counterweight (5).jpeg

AZT6 LBracket Counterweight (6).jpeg

• Like 2

Sadly it has transpired that Old Master Li , the expert in aluminum forgings and nano-tubes boring in charge with the AZT6 LHalter manufacturing has tried to bore a nano-tube with the forging hammer and thus shall not be available for a while...🤪 Until then , I've tried my hand at a bit of DIY / ATM , entry level as no parts were manufactured just re-screwed from bits and pieces from my boxes.  At one end of a longer Vixen rail I've fixed the reversed LBracket and at the other a bar from another counterweight system that already had M6 holes. It all fitted quite nice and once I've found the equilibrium point  the movement was much to my surprise even better on the Azimuth axis (I was expecting to feel something on the Alt ) If I decide to use it in this configuration I'll have to get a shorter bar , it's kinda stuck out. Can't wait to put the 4 incher on 🤩 

AZT6 Mod2 (1).jpg

AZT6 Mod2 (2).jpg

AZT6 Mod2 (3).jpg

AZT6 Mod2 (4).jpg

AZT6 Mod2 (5).jpg

• Like 2

After reading a very good post about that pesky thing that we usually forget about when rigging a rig - the tripod rigidity if you wondered - it so happened  a 3/8" Photo Adapter for EQ6 I've been looking at got restocked. Being a sucker for CNC milled aluminum parts I went for it and as such Mk3 was born. 

Once the tray-stiffener on EQ6 tripod was properly tightened , that sucker went rigid and got strong enough to take my whole not negligible weight. And good thing too  since  I tripped over one of the tripod legs. Not only the 'dynamic load test'  was successful but also the vibrations went down , with the 4mm EP clearly showing  the greatest improvement , I even managed to get a hand held phone shoot of Jupiter & friends directly at the Eye Piece , something simply impossible to do previously.

In other news, managed to smack my 72ED from the room radiator while packing up for the night. Yes , it didn't happen when changing mounts not even when tripping but when it was almost in the box. Go figure . There is now a small but annoying dent on the dew-shield tip that does not interfere with the view , just with the cap that can't screw in. Also , the famously flimsy 72ED focuser got  out of position with the tube going all over , already fixed it -  it's flimsy but easy to mend so that's that.

AZT6 Mod3 (1).jpg

AZT6 Mod3 (2).jpg

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-19 at 03.21.06.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-19 at 02.48.03.jpeg

• Like 2

Tonight I finally managed to put the 102mm APO on the AZT6. Even better , I was not alone , I was with my wife and with my best friend and we have had a mini star party or rather planet party with Saturn and the Moon looking nice and crisp.

My missus have had the ocasion to look through my scopes so for her it was a 'better than last time' impression , however it's the first time my friend is looking up through a telescope and he was silenty taking it in. Not a man of many words, he just said that 'hmmm, that Saturn looks like painted up there "  but the smile and the twinkle in the eye said more for me than anything 

From my part  the main comment is that I usually say "Casini division visible" meaning that I can see a fine dark line , like a very fine ink line - well , tonight, with the 4incher & the 4mm UWAN the line was ,markedly written , all three of us saw it 🤩 

• Like 2

The big boy in action 😄 This morning got a nice view of Jupiter with lots of moons ...like 6 instead of 4...that was interesting....and also a cute view of Venus as a thin crescent . I've seen it before in the quarter and gibbous phases but never the crescent so that's a first for me.

102mm-AZT6 (2).jpg

102mm-AZT6 (6).jpg

• Like 1