NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Asiair plan mode over multiple nights

Hi All.

I've been experimenting with creating mosaics using the plan mode on the Asiair Mini and my ASI533MC and it's working great, however in reality I need to image the same target mosaic grids over multiple nights to collect enough data.

I've had a search around the interwebs but I can't seem to find any information on how to keep/save the plan so that I can image the exact same mosaic grids on subsequent nights.

Could someone either point me in the right direction or offer some advice?

Cheers.

MM.

The plan stays in the memory of the air until you delete it. You can have multiple plans saved on the device. Click on top right button and all your plans will be listed by the name you gave them upon creation.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Elp said:

The plan stays in the memory of the air until you delete it. You can have multiple plans saved on the device. Click on top right button and all your plans will be listed by the name you gave them upon creation.

Great - thanks!

I'll give that a go and then come back with more questions if I have them.

Will have to wait for the British summer to actually appear though.

MM

I tend to plan my mosaics via the telescopius website and save the coordinates to my phone so they're all there if I need them. I also attach a screenshot of the mosaic for reference. When creating a new plan with the coordinates pre copied, you then import plan and paste the coordinates into the pop up window, it'll ask you your exposure time and no of images then when you press okay it'll populate your newly created plan with all the respective panels. The only thing you have to make sure of if you setup fresh each time (or if you leave months/years between sessions) is your camera orientation, it's not necessary but when you stack multiple sessions it's good to not waste edge space which will have to be cropped off if they're not well aligned between each session.

• Like 1

On 08/08/2023 at 11:10, Elp said:

I tend to plan my mosaics via the telescopius website and save the coordinates to my phone so they're all there if I need them. I also attach a screenshot of the mosaic for reference. When creating a new plan with the coordinates pre copied, you then import plan and paste the coordinates into the pop up window, it'll ask you your exposure time and no of images then when you press okay it'll populate your newly created plan with all the respective panels. The only thing you have to make sure of if you setup fresh each time (or if you leave months/years between sessions) is your camera orientation, it's not necessary but when you stack multiple sessions it's good to not waste edge space which will have to be cropped off if they're not well aligned between each session.

Thanks, I have had a look at Telescopius so perhaps that's something I will try.

I did a quick 8 panel mosaic of the Heart and Soul Nebula last night and it worked fairly well.  My question is that now if I load up the same plan it says total time remaining is 0 minutes.  I thought I could just run the same plan over and over to build up more data over multiple days but do I have to run a single plan over multiple days doing say one mosaic panel each day rather than all mosaic panels on all days?

Cheers.

MM

You simply reset the plan. It's also better for your post process workflow to spend more time per panel before moving on unless you're in a complete rush to do the whole set.

Edited by Elp

25 minutes ago, Elp said:

You simply reset the plan. It's also better for your post process workflow to spend more time per panel before moving on unless you're in a complete rush to do the whole set.

Thanks for the reply.

Does it make much difference for the process workflow?  You still need to stack each panel in the end.

I'll try the reset tonight as it's apparently going to be clear and will see what is what.  In the UK, especially this year, I am sure many of us are in a rush!

Thanks.

MM

When I last did nine panels in one run, it was nine sets, nine sets of calibrating, registering, stacking then aligning each to check they worked. Better to spend one or two hours per panel (as you'll get better signal to noise), than say 20 mins x 8 panels, and repeat 3 times considering the above. Depends what works for you. Some nights you'll find your result isn't as good as a previous night, panels close to the horizon won't look as good as those higher up, you have to decide what's best.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1