NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I need 2 setups but.....

chubster1302

....cant really afford it right now.

Dilemma...We have a place in Southern Spain, 360 degree views, under Bortle 3 skies, currently we go over there about 4 times a year. I have a EQ5 pro, WO ZS73iii, D5300, guide cam and scope. Should I just take everything over there and leave it there,  or just haul everything back and forth each time. 🤔. Im considering the Sky-Watcher AZ-GTiX, as a second mount, that should be able to handle the equipment I have, no? That would just mean taking the scope and bits and pieces back and forth, which would easily go on as hand luggage. Then "if" i go down that route which mount would you keep where? Id still like to practice in the UK, when and if I can. I have no PC in Spain, so would probably get something like the Asiair Plus for control.

Decisions, decisions.....what would you do 🤔

Personally, to save on doubling up, get a smaller mount and carbon fibre tripod and an on board computer controller whatever make that will be. You'll end up in four figure sums very quickly trying to double accommodate. Or, just enjoy the sunshine.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Elp said:

Personally, to save on doubling up, get a smaller mount and carbon fibre tripod and an on board computer controller whatever make that will be. You'll end up in four figure sums very quickly trying to double accommodate. Or, just enjoy the sunshine.

Which would be the "better" mount to take and leave at Spain. Im assuming, maybe incorrectly, that the EQ5 would give me a better guiding experience overall. But then the seeing in Spain, is going to be better than at home so perhaps that doesnt matter? Would the AZ-GTi fit the bill as a smaller mount ? 

Edited by chubster1302

If you're happy leaving the eq5 there do that, my thoughts are you'll use it more here so best to leave it here.

Azgti should be fine (read the many pages of the owners thread), but you'll also need:

EQ wedge, DIY counterweight bar and weights, computer controller, some budget for hardware and cables including an EQDIR cable.

If you have the funds, maybe look at one of the small HD mounts (I just got a hem15), you might find it'll be the one you end up using the most, I still use my azgti a lot though because it's so dependable and works as expected.

• Like 1