Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ocal Collimator with Edge HD8

Hi,

I'm new to the Edge HD8 and have been struggling with collimation, focus and polar alignment. I think a lot of the issue is that I didn't have the reducer, so been trying to do everything at the native focal length (2032mm). Anyway, I have managed to get hold of a .7 reducer and I'm going through all steps logically.

Question I have first is - should I do the collimation with or without the imaging train? And also, which circles should I align the collimator to?

Here is an image of the Ocal camera with no focal train apart from the .7 reducer which is attached.

large.reducer_noimagetrain.png.48d34146246b2a2cfb13e2c633cdc4ec.png

Here are the reference points I chose

large.reducer_noimagetrain2.png.4f4571ff2c7b9c858e3b2c6aee70c1e2.png

This next one is after collimation - note that the crosshair on the camera seems central, but the mirror still seems a little off? Not sure if I should go by the mirror or by the camera crosshair.

large.reducer_noimagetrain3.png.47f8eb22668cd4500c105be4e5f817b4.png

Main questions then:

1) have I chosen the correct reference points (circles)
2) Should I fine tune to the cross hair or the primary mirror
3) Should I be collimating with just the reducer or the whole image train which would be: Scope-Reducer-OAG-ZWO 21mm Filter draw-ASI2600MC

Many Thanks in advance.

Bargy