NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eyepiece advice

Paliadon

Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone uses the Meade Series 5000 Plossly eyepieces at all? If you do, how do you find them. I am looking to use them with an LX200 on an EQPro mount. Or alternatively, could you recommend a range of eyepieces that you would prefer.

Thanks in advance.

For the money I find the Meade 5000 plossls quite enjoyable. I don't know about the lower f/l ones, but the 20mm and 32mm ones were extremely comfortable with lots of eye relief.

However, I reckon you could get away with paying less if you only intend to use them in your slow SCT. Generally, it does not require expensive eyepieces to offer a good view as a faster telescope would.

On this page, you could look at getting PanaViews for the longer f/ls and perhaps the UWA or Ultrawides for the higher magnification... I say perhaps because I haven't tried them, but from reports it sounds like the UWAs can offer Nagler-like views if the telescope is slow enough.

Hope that helps a bit...

Andrew

However, I reckon you could get away with paying less if you only intend to use them in your slow SCT. Generally, it does not require expensive eyepieces to offer a good view as a faster telescope would.

Agree - the Meade s5000 eyepieces are good, but quite expensive for what they are. Andrew's suggestion of looking to the SW range is a good one, I think.

The PanaViews and PanaViews look good to me, but at f/10 you probably wouldn't see a whole lot of difference between the humble £29.95 SkyWatcher plossls and the Meade s5000 equivalents either (apart from your bank balance :) ). The 10mm and 25mm SW Plossls i've had seemed perfectly respectable to me, and can be picked up used for around a tenner.

I use a 32mm Meade 5000 on my M90. I think it's great for the money I paid for it - £60 s/h but mint. It gives a very nice sharp view across about 80% of the field with a little coma at the edges. Plus the eye relief is very good. I also have a 14mm which I use on my C6 & C9.25 and it too is pretty good - not Nagler good but for £30 s/h absolutely brilliant! You won't be disappointed.

Archived