Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Does anyone have any advice for a replacement Star Sense Auto Align Camera Cable

I have a Star Sense Auto Align Camera and last night while I was monitoring my Dew Heater wiring trying to keep it from getting snagged on anything or falling as my scope rotated to an object the RJ12 cord for the Star Sense got hung on the holder for my Hand Controller and pulled apart from the jack by the wires. It pulled straight out and if I were more savvy it looks like it could be repaired. I have have checked Celestron for a replacement cord but they don’t have one on their website and also emailed them. I checked online and a company in Canada custom makes them to order but say on their website it can take up to a month or more and the only other seller I have found online is on eBay with no Seller or Company Name just Leicester, UK and I don’t know about ordering stuff from eBay especially internationally with no name, business, or shipping address attached. But back to the problem at present does anyone know if there is a way to replace my cord with one I might be able to find somewhere locally like a computer supply store, camera store, or electronics store? I know it’s a RJ12 6p6c cable but I’m not sure if any RJ12 6p6c cable will work or if it has to be a specific type.

IMG_2617.jpeg

If both ends are RJ and the colours run in the same order you should find one easily.

But be careful, the colours may run in the same order, but may be "back-to-front".

Depending on whether the cable is a "Straight Through" or a "Crossover".

An Electronics Repair or PC Repair shop may be able to crimp on a new RJ plug to the existing cable.

Show them the old one to get the colours the right way round.

Michael

19 hours ago, michael8554 said:

If both ends are RJ and the colours run in the same order you should find one easily.

But be careful, the colours may run in the same order, but may be "back-to-front".

Depending on whether the cable is a "Straight Through" or a "Crossover".

An Electronics Repair or PC Repair shop may be able to crimp on a new RJ plug to the existing cable.

Show them the old one to get the colours the right way round.

Michael

According to a diagram I found online it’s a straight through cable were each wire is connected to the same pin on the opposite side, also thank you for the answer you have saved me a lot more searching, possibly my pocket book, and definitely sped up the time it will take for me to get back out with my Scope. 

On 26/06/2023 at 04:12, StarDuke82 said:

According to a diagram I found online it’s a straight through cable were each wire is connected to the same pin on the opposite side, also thank you for the answer you have saved me a lot more searching, possibly my pocket book, and definitely sped up the time it will take for me to get back out with my Scope. 

Compare the colour order in the two plugs, if they look the same then you should be fine with any of these for example - https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rj12+coiled+cable&crid=2AYX8QW1HMVG2&sprefix=rj12+coiled+cable%2Caps%2C149&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

With the connector being pulled off, there could be damage to the cables inside so probably better to just replace the cable

5 hours ago, doublevodka said:

With the connector being pulled off, there could be damage to the cables inside so probably better to just replace the cable

Agreed. RJ type lead assemblies are cheap enough. Not worth the hassle.