Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M42/43 once again

I haven't imaged the Orion nebula that often, because of various reasons. For me it's a bit low in the sky and obstructed by a few trees near my observatory. This means that I would have to toss a substantial number of subs, of a sequence. Another reason is that this target is so common, that it doesn't offer anything new.

But, in 2021 I pointed my scope at this nebula for about half an hour and collected 72 30 s subs in R, G, and B. This is what I managed then

Processing this target is a challenge, and I've now procesed the data a number of times, as new tools have become available.

The newest kid on the block, for me, is GHS transformation in PixInsight. I followed Adam Block's YouTube tutorial and, in combination with Russel Croman's Blur- and NoiseXTerminator, this is the result.

M43_GHS_230623.thumb.jpg.c8ea744ba809cb712fa55babc368fc33.jpg

The objective was to keep detail and colour right into the core, while showing as much as possible of the fainter regions.

After several passes of GHS, I almost got the nebula where I wanted it, but I found the core a bit flat. There's a lot going on near the Trapezium that I wanted to show. So, with a range mask exposing just the very core, I used MMT to add a little more local contrast in that area.

As I wrote before, the data consists of 72 subs of 30 s, with camera gain at its lowest, in order to keep the highest possible dynamic range.

Technical details:

SkyWatcher MN190 with ASI294MM camera at 0 gain and -10 C temperature, Optolong RGB filters

Exposure time: 30 s

Integration time: 36 minutes.

More subs might have given me more signal in the weakest areas, but I started to see horizontal banding in the image. Probably the exposure time is a bit too short (my normal exposure time at this gain is 300 s), and the read pattern starts to show. So I'm not sure if more subs or a higher gain would have made much of a difference. Using the high conversion gain of the camera would have reduced read noise, but it also would have reduced the full well depth.

• Like 2