NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observing Planets

Hi, I'm really interested in astronomy and would like some advice. I've bought a few books on the topic and am looking to purchase my fist telescope. I'm looking for a telescope which will give me the ability to view some deep space objects, but more importantly objects within our solar system. What telescope will give good resolution images of Venus, Mars, etc with the potential of some deep space images.

I have been read some really good reviews of the Celestron Astromaster 130-EQ. Has anyone had personal use with this scope?

Any Advice welcomed!

thanks

I have been read some really good reviews of the Celestron Astromaster 130-EQ. Has anyone had personal use with this scope?

I have this scope and to be completely honest I don't think it's very good, well the scope is but the rest of it just isn't very well made.

So far I have had to wrap duct tape round the focuser because it was really wobbly, which made it hard to focus on things. It's much, much better now though.

I had to replace two knobs because they were too big and kept catching on the setting circles, and even then one of them kept catching. In the end I just removed what it was catching on.

I also had to modify the latitude adjustment screw to stop it digging into the soft metal it was resting on... actually I ended up sticking 20p on to where it meets the tripod with velcro.

Plus I removed the motor (I bought the MD version) because it got in the way on one side.

All in all I don't think it's not a bad scope, it's just got a very poorly designed tripod. However, I do think that if I were to start again I would probably save up a bit more money and buy something else, like a nice Dobson.

Archived