SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

sony a6000 for planetery

How large are you expecting the planet (and which planet) to be on the image sensor? The larger the sensor the smaller it will appear to be, you need a long focal length lens or telescope to "make the planet larger" on the sensor chip. Something like 1000mm to resolve some surface detail on Jupiter, 2000mm to get a decent resolution, 3000mm+ for better quality. A Barlow lens allows the longer focal lengths depending on its multiplication factor, generally 2x is best.

Most modern cameras generally only record video at 1080p (1920 x 1080 pixels), more advanced ones can go higher up to 4K (3840 x 2160) and higher, but note as above, the planet will look smaller the higher resolution you go unless the projected image of the planet is larger on the sensor to begin with.

Edited by Elp

Well the problem is that when it records 1080p it doesn't crop, it reduces the video quality. So i tested the video recording and the moon looks bad when i record, but when i take a still photo it look sharp. Btw my scope is 130/900 newt and im planing to buy a 3x barlow.

If you look at the file properties I think you'll find the images are taken at their set resolution and the video at their resolution, likely they won't be the same resolution as each other. Video is usually also compressed so you'll loose quality. Video is also recording at 1/25, 1/30 or 1/60 of a second per frame, so unless you're doing the same shutter speed for your individual photos you're also not comparing like for like.

The best planetary images are done by taking hundreds or thousands of images (or a few minutes of uncompressed video) at a time, then stacked using autostakkert or equivalent software as it organises the images into best quality which weren't affected by atmospheric seeing so much, the moon is relatively easy to image, try a planet and you'll see the seeing issue straight away.

The moon will be quite zoomed in with your scope, Jupiter should look a decent size without the Barlow. Has your camera got an image size setting, I think if it has you'll get the effect you're looking for by reducing the resolution, but always shoot in RAW format.

If you do a search on the internet for "full frame sensor size comparison" you'll see what I mean, a smaller sensor will still image at its own full resolution, but the image will be cropped (zoomed in) compared to a sensor of a larger size. You can achieve the same by cropping your full resolution images.

Edited by Elp

I fell into the angle of view trap a couple of years ago trying to capture Mars with an APS-C camera. It was a "learning opportunity" and I now use a dedicated astronomy planetary camera. 

When I tried to take a photographof Mars, it was a handful of pixels in size at most, a "pale pink dot", to paraphrase the famous saying. The scope was 750mm focal length. 

Even with a x3 Barlow, you'll maybe get an image 50-100 pixels in size with an APS-C sensor and you'll need exposure lengths 2^3 as long as without the Barlow, so the mount needs to track well. 

Bigger planets like Jupiter and Saturn fare better, but still not great.

To avoid optical aberrations, the Barlow will need to be a good one, and therefore expensive. Have a look to at an astronomy planetary camera. 

Hope you find a solution. 

Mike