NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sun in Whitelight 26th May 2023

Steve Ward

Possibly the worst seeing I've ever encountered , I was just about to pull the trigger on a 152/1200 to up my game a little but as things are it'd be a complete waste of cash so I'm going to stick at 100mm for the foreseeable ... 😒

Managed to scrape a few frames together from the mush on a day I'd put aside for a good long session , best laid plans and all that ... 😑

STD.thumb.PNG.408dabdbf225d814f4f921a50d312bab.PNG

INV.thumb.PNG.4a60a7daa33a7f2510c37a99649f6723.PNG

COL.thumb.PNG.7c421cd8251e763d445ea285ff720384.PNG

Edited by Steve Ward
  • Like 7

You are much too modest Sir.  These images are excellent. :thumbsup:

A larger aperture is more useful for closeups. Probably not ideal for full disks.
With increasing aperture comes longer focal lengths. So image size increases automatically.
The image may be too large to fit on any reasonable or affordable sensor.
Weight increases dramatically. So the mounting and pier [or very tall and heavy tripod] can struggle.
But you know all this anyway. 😊

1 hour ago, Rusted said:

You are much too modest Sir.  These images are excellent. :thumbsup:

A larger aperture is more useful for closeups. Probably not ideal for full disks.
With increasing aperture comes longer focal lengths. So image size increases automatically.
The image may be too large to fit on any reasonable or affordable sensor.
Weight increases dramatically. So the mounting and pier [or very tall and heavy tripod] can struggle.
But you know all this anyway. 😊

That's why it's called 'lucky imaging' I guess , it'd be nice to just rattle off 100 frames and stack 50 of them instead of trawling through set after set as has been the case of late.

I've just added the details of 'scope and camera into Stellarium Oculars and it comes up like this so no messing with modified Barlows at least ... :lol: 

stellarium-010.thumb.png.8c073885adf905090f0c25f4dc09695c.png

So I think I'll probably go ahead and just make a couple of filters , one at 152mm and one at 100mm for rough days. 

• Like 1