Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

GSO Dual Speed Focuser questions

Hello Stargazers,

Am relatively new here, so I am posting some questions regarding the GSO focuser recently purchased for my Celestron C6R 150mm refractor. The purchase was for a new item, not a second-hand item.

After installing the GSO, upon trying out the main focuser (not yet the fine focuser on the right side) I noticed that even with the focus lock thumbscrew tightened, the focuser can still turn (see attached a diagram from the site I purchased the focuser). Trying another mode, I loosened the focus lock thumbscrew but tightened the tension of the tension control thumbscrew instead and still the focuser was able to spin. Coming from a rack and pinion focuser, the focuser will not be able to move if the the lock thumbscrew is tightened. 

Now, with both loosened, the drawtube can of course move back and forth as I turn the focuser and the fine focuser. But tightening any of the screws, or both, will still allow the focuser knobs to turn even though the drawtube stays put. In other words, the focuser knobs can always turn even with one or both thumbscrews tightened. 

Is this normal?

Thanks for any inputs coming this way.

Sincerely,

Jack

GSO Dual Speed Focuser Diagram.JPG

Never gave this any thought but mine does the same thing.  It is afterall just basically a friction lock.  

15 minutes ago, Mike Q said:

Never gave this any thought but mine does the same thing.  It is afterall just basically a friction lock.  

Thanks for chiming in Mike. I do not think it is "broken" and share you view that this is how it works, given that it focuses fine with no problems whatsoever. But the knobs can keep turning even if the thumbscrews are tightened and I guess I need to get used to this.

40 minutes ago, starsailor70 said:

Thanks for chiming in Mike. I do not think it is "broken" and share you view that this is how it works, given that it focuses fine with no problems whatsoever. But the knobs can keep turning even if the thumbscrews are tightened and I guess I need to get used to this.

I read your post and went ... I need to go look at this 

On 14/05/2023 at 12:15, bosun21 said:

Yes that’s perfectly normal. It’s just an aspect of the Crayford focuser. I have the same focuser on my dobsonian.

Excellent, that's what I was hoping for. It's a great product and the smoothness of the focusing is something else. Thank you.

Edited by starsailor70
  • Like 1