Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which Telescope?

I recently purchased a Modified Canon 700d and was about to purchase a Skywatcher P150 i Wi-Fi telescope to use with it but on reading several reviews I'm unsure whether this telescope is the right choice due to focusing issue's etc,

Is there a better Wi-Fi telescope in the £400 to £600 range or would my initial choice be suitable

Thanks for any help

Stop!  Astrophotography is terribly complicated, frequently counter intuitive and always expensive. WiFi is completely irrelevant to the problem. I know this is hard to accept but it would be better to accept it now than accept it after wasting a lot of money on a setup that will never work.  Let's begin at the beginning:

- You have a camera which can record light.

- You need optics to focus that light onto the camera chip.

- Astronomical targets are faint and need long exposures. But...

- The Earth rotates relative to the sky so you need a mount which can unwind that rotation by rotating the other way. But...

- That unwinding must be done equatorially as opposed to just right-left/up-down.

- And that unwinding must be done with a mechanical precision which is beyond conventional engineering...

- And the longer the focal length, the more insanely precise that unwinding needs to be.

Don't spend a single penny before getting to the bottom of all this.

Olly

• Like 7

What Olly said. All stop and all back full.  You need to take a bit and think this out.  Find a astro club and look at some set ups and as a lot of questions.  Then you will start seeing what you need to do.