NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help with a faulty Synscan Handset

Hi folks. I have a V4 Synscan handset on my EQ3-2 mount purchased in about 2018. Recently the display has stopped working properly and I can only see the first line of the display, the second has the odd blip or line in it but nothing readable. 

Any suggestions for how I might approach troubleshooting this and fixing the problem?

Replacement handsets are about £180 on Ebay and I'm reluctant to spend that much. If that's my only option then I may upgrade to a better mount instead.

The liquid crystal display is often conneced to the handset's main printed circuit board, using a flexible printed circuit ribbon. The ribbon is either soldered directly to the main board, or pushed into a dedicated connector. The connection to the display is usually made using a silicone rubber strip, with alternating conducting and insulating layers, between the flexible circuit, and a line of connections printed on the rear of the display's glass housing. For the display to work, there has to be a firm, uncontaminated, contact between the various mechanical parts. Sometimes dampness can create an insulating film on one, or more, of the contacts, and this will give poor display operation.

If you are comfortable with opening up the handset, and "wiggling" or cleaning the contacts, it is likely that the missing parts of the display will return.

This has worked for me, on other items of equipment, but I have not had to try it on my V3 Synscan handsets (yet).

Geoff

• Like 2

As Geoff mentions, the LCD is connected to the handsets PCB via a short flex film strip.  You could try and reseat this in its connector by releasing the  pressure clip  of the connector where the film enters the connector, which should then allow the film to be eased out.  Clean the end using some 99% IPA  and reinsert the film and push the clip back home.

If this fails to work then regretfully there isn't much that can be done as Synta don't offer replacement parts at component level, and whilst the LCD may well be a 2 line 16 character display, its unique to these handsets.  The only resolution is to purchase a replacement handset.

• Like 1

£180.00 does seem rather expensive. If you have a smartphone or tablet, have you considered a Synscan wifi adapter? FLO currently have them in stock at £75.00. Obviously you could also purchase a used one. I have both adapter and handset and like them both. The Synscan app is probably quicker to align the mount, and the only thing I personally find awkward is when my fingers are cold there are no chunky buttons on my tablet.
The other benefit with the adapter is the ability to use Sky Safari which I find fantastic.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, DeanCJ said:

£180.00 does seem rather expensive. If you have a smartphone or tablet, have you considered a Synscan wifi adapter? FLO currently have them in stock at £75.00. Obviously you could also purchase a used one. I have both adapter and handset and like them both. The Synscan app is probably quicker to align the mount, and the only thing I personally find awkward is when my fingers are cold there are no chunky buttons on my tablet.
The other benefit with the adapter is the ability to use Sky Safari which I find fantastic.

Thanks - I hadn't realised that the wifi adapter could replace all the functionality in the handset. Will certainly take a look!

6 hours ago, Guy65 said:

Thanks - I hadn't realised that the wifi adapter could replace all the functionality in the handset. Will certainly take a look!

You can control the mount using an EQDIR cable (around £40) and a PC running free software, or as mentioned a Wi-fi dongle and an app on a mobile phone.  There was also some dabbling with Bluetooth to do the same as the EQDIR cable but that seems to be more of a DIY venture rather than a commercial offering

• Like 1