NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cosmic Question Mark (or is it the Ape's Skull?)

old_eyes

Two panel mosaic of NGC7822 and SH2-170 - sometimes called the 'Cosmic Question Mark'

Approximately 3 hours 20 mins exposure in 120 sec subs for each panel. OSC data processed in PixInsight.

Data from Pier 5 @Roboscopes in Spain (Tak Epsilon 180, ASI 2400MC Pro, Paramount MX unguided).

Although popularly known as the Cosmic Question Mark, I think in this rendition it is more of the Ape's Skull. Strong brow ridges, large eye sockets and a pronounced snout. What do you think?

NGC7822Final.thumb.jpg.a686f7cb4d83a36e17a92e3c6d6311e5.jpg

• Like 6

Wow, don't think these "young eyes" have seen this one before. Great image, lots of colour.

I definitely see the apes skull more clearly than the question mark. Speaking of which, is that a dark nebula by the "dot"? Almost looks like a "black hole" 🤣

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, WolfieGlos said:

Wow, don't think these "young eyes" have seen this one before. Great image, lots of colour.

I definitely see the apes skull more clearly than the question mark. Speaking of which, is that a dark nebula by the "dot"? Almost looks like a "black hole" 🤣

If it is a dark nebula, I have not yet been able to track down the catalogue number. It looks OK, because there are plenty of dark dusty channel to the left of and right across the centre of the main nebula. I don't think it is a processing artefact, but who knows what errors I could introduce in processing 😲.