NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC1491 - Fossil Footprint

Budgie1

I last tried this target in April 2021 and wasn't very successful with it. That was using the ASI294MC Pro with no filters.

I wondered if I could do better with the Atik 428EX using SHO. It has much more detail than the OSC version but suffers from quite a lot of noise, which I think is down to either imaging over the Full Moon or it just needs more data. I've had a couple of goes at processing in PI and this is the best to date. 

This is a total of 7 hours 20 minutes of data: Ha = 3h10m, Oiii = 2h05m & Sii = 2h 05m

NGC1491_FossleFootprintNebula_7h20m_SHO_08032023.thumb.png.cc76086189b217a764a5bae064c21502.png

Edited by Budgie1
  • Like 7

This is one I've never tried before.  Well worth the effort, I particularly likethe colour.  It does betray signs of noise reduction.  No tool is going to fix significant noise but NoiseXterminator is the best I've come across and can sometimes deliver the seemingly impossible

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MartinB said:

This is one I've never tried before.  Well worth the effort, I particularly likethe colour.  It does betray signs of noise reduction.  No tool is going to fix significant noise but NoiseXterminator is the best I've come across and can sometimes deliver the seemingly impossible

NoiseX did it's best on this one but I think more data & less Moon is the answer to this one, Martin.

It's worth a go at this target, it's actually quite an interesting one, especially with the FOV the 428EX coupled to the SkyWatcher ED80 DS Pro gives. ;)

• Like 1

I decided to reprocess this one and the main change in the workflow was to use NoiseXT on the Ha, Oiii & Sii images before combination, instead of at the end of the processing.

I've also changed when I used Curves and I also didn't use colour masks on this second rendition. 

It's still got that mottled effect to the background from the noise reduction, but it's not as pronounced and I like this one better than the first one;. ;)

NGC1491_FossleFootprintNebula_7h20m_SHO_08032023-1.thumb.png.c608c78aa4a2d09797e946693e001b33.png

• Like 2

• Budgie1 changed the title to NGC1491 - Fossil Footprint