Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

UWA lenses for Milky Way photography - Canon R-mount

dcweather

There are limited choices as far as I can make out including older EF lenses, for MW photography. If you take away much in built prejudice it seems that some of the Chinese makers are filling this gap with good build and optical quality manual lenses, which in theory (and in practice according to many reviews) can match the previous Rokinon/Samyang favourites. Plus these are only available as 14mm and the best one, the 12mm f2.0 only available in R-M mount for Canon.
So after much research I have narrowed it down to the similarly priced Nisi 9mm f2.8 sunstar lens and the Meike 10mm f2.0. There are differences but I suspect the performance to be similar enough in the critical areas to be ok for my current opportunities. I welcome any thoughts and specifically I wondered if the Nisi (which produces excellent sun stars even wide open) might put too many in a Milky Way image. I would imagine easier to add than remove pp.