Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice on Power Tank mobile power station with spot light

Hi, really sorry to ask a basic question, but my father has recently passed away and we are clearing his observatory.

Amongst the items there is a Power Tank mobile power station with spot light.( like photo attached)

it’s fully functioning and I plan to sell it, however I can’t find the Jack lead.

My question is, what is the Jack lead for, is it necessary to have it when I go to sell and if so does anyone know where I can buy one?

I do have the mains charging lead.

Finally where is the best place to sell such items and also for when we go to sell his telescopes?

thanks Lisa 

9C29E13F-EEE6-4F9D-8FB9-1E1571181D67.png

Hello Lisa.
First of all sorry about the loss of your father.
Was he an SGL member? We sometimes only hear about losing members when family come along, or we notice we have not heard from someone in a while.

I wouldn't worry about a missing lead for the power tank. They are standard items that can be obtained for few £.

When you come to sell the scopes (and presumably other astro equipment) you have several options.
The first thing for you to decide is whether you want just have someone pick up the lot sell items individually.

A used equipment dealer will take everything in one go, but at a low price.
If you sell in the astro community you will get higher prices, but spend much more time dealing with enquiries.

You will of course find help on this forum if you are struggling to identify something.

HTH, David.

• Like 1

Thanks David, that’s really helpful.

I don’t know if Dad was a member of SGL sadly we never had that discussion.

selling his things is a little daunting I have to say as we haven’t a clue about the telescopes if people were to ask any questions!

equally we don’t want to give them away as they’ve had minimal use and we’ve seen the receipts to see how much he paid for them.

thanks for your help, Lisa 

ps do you know where I can buy the Jack lead from and what is it actually for?

18 minutes ago, Lisa Miller said:

I'm assuming you mean a lead from the powerbank cigar lighter outlet to the scope control.
Probably a '2.1mm DC plug' at the equipment end. Available from many astro retailers, ebay and amazon. But.......
Could this be with the mount and handset?
You would soon notice if you tried to power a mount for a prospective seller.

1 hour ago, Lisa Miller said:

I think that is the least of your worries. You can sell the power tank without it and let the seller source a lead. For instance, I have at least one lead that would connect it to a Celestron or Sky-watcher scope mount (probably), but not to a Meade mount.  As pointed out above, there may be a lead among your bits that will connect it to one of the mounts you have inherited.

If you post photos of the astro gear here, many people will recognise the items, name them, suggest ballpark values, and places where you could advertise them.  In particular you should include pictures of any nameplates on the scope(s).  You may be surprised at the 2nd hand value of this stuff (depending on what it is).

1 hour ago, Lisa Miller said:

Thanks David, that’s really helpful.

I don’t know if Dad was a member of SGL sadly we never had that discussion.

selling his things is a little daunting I have to say as we haven’t a clue about the telescopes if people were to ask any questions!

equally we don’t want to give them away as they’ve had minimal use and we’ve seen the receipts to see how much he paid for them.

thanks for your help, Lisa 

I had a friend who passed away, leaving a lot of stuff and his family too had no idea. 

Usually the 'stuff' will include valuable items and some basic almost worthless accessories. Finding someone who can go through it and point you in the right direction is key. Somethings keep their value and some dont. I did this for my friend's family and they were surprised to find what they had. We set up an account on UKAstroBuyandSell in the executors name and I just acted as a 'mentor'.  Did your Dad have such a friend?

• Like 1