SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Particle Physics... Stuck (again)? lol

Just something I came across recently... And (for a change) I enjoyed! ๐Ÿ˜Ž
For me, "Particle Physics" has always been rather *honest* about this...
And I just feel sometimes, there is a need for a reasonable perspective!

Perhaps her lectures can seem a tad "haphazard", but I find her style fun!
Zeee French (Canadian?) accehnt! But, makes a change from each time I
logon to Twitter, Sabine Hossenfelder's: "Zees is all Vayst of Time!" ๐Ÿคฃ

ย 

Edited by Macavity
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 24/01/2023 at 16:48, Macavity said:

Just something I came across recently... And (for a change) I enjoyed! ๐Ÿ˜Ž
For me, "Particle Physics" has always been rather *honest* about this...
And I just feel sometimes, there is a need for a reasonable perspective!

Perhaps her lectures can seem a tad "haphazard", but I find her style fun!
Zeee French (Canadian?) accehnt! But, makes a change from each time I
logon to Twitter, Sabine Hossenfelder's: "Zees is all Vayst of Time!" ๐Ÿคฃ

What an interesting character she is. I could listen to her for hours,ย an expert who really knows her stuff and is able to communicate it in a manner that is both educational and entertaining.
Zees vas nit a vayst of time.๐Ÿ˜‚

Thinking about buying her book, anyone read it?

EDIT: looked it up on Amazon and I think asking ยฃ14.99 for a paperback first published in June 2018 is a bit much. I understand physics books are always expensive but not buying it. Pun intended!ย 

Edited by Moonshed

Since Brian Cox Tweeted about it, it's probably "safe" to mention this... ๐Ÿ˜
https://cerncourier.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/CERNCourier2023MarApr-digitaledition.pdf

One reply had "no idea such a thing existed"? ๐Ÿ˜ฑ Contains a response
to the: "Let's STOP all this"? lol. The E-version CERN Courier is free too! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

CERN.jpg.2a7ef49711cf8e5dd423db910dd23b0c.jpg

Edited by Macavity

• 3 weeks later...

It's interesting to read the views of one "Grand Old Man" of Physics? ๐Ÿ˜Ž
https://www.quantamagazine.org/carlo-rubbia-calls-for-courage-as-physicists-confront-collider-dilemma-20190807/

The techniques of Muon Colliders make interesting reading as well? ๐Ÿ™‚
(Some of the pioneering work is actually being done here in the UK!)
ย 

ย 

Edited by Macavity

The most interesting thing I learned about muons was the technique of muon transmission radiography based on cosmic ray sources. It was in 2017 that a large void was discovered in the Great Pyramid of Giza (with a length of 30โ€‰metres minimum) by observation of cosmic-ray muons. Amazing when you think about it.

• Like 1

Once worked in an area where so-called "minimum ionizing" muons were sprayed "randomly" (liberally?)
from a more general particle beam target/stop. Useful for calibrating detector prototypes etc. Of course,
the Muons were fairly harmless. Radiation doses were monitored carefully etc. Still alive (apparently)? ๐Ÿ˜

Jokes about wearing "lead underpants" were not unknown among (predominantly male!) Physicists?!? ๐Ÿ˜…
ย 

Edited by Macavity

• 2 months later...

Asked simialr at a talk: Basically is the standard model still correct?

Reason was simple: Present model cannot construct Dark Matter, why are neutrinos still so difficult to detect. Some event occurred and we were swamped by apparently by billions. 4 were detected. Question - were there billions or just a couple of hundred, of which we only detected 4.

Brother what a panic I caused - question the standard model ???? BLASPHEMY !!!! ๐Ÿ™ƒ

15 hours ago, PEMS said:

Brother what a panic I caused - question the standard model ???? BLASPHEMY !!!! ๐Ÿ™ƒ

Bemusement? Mild irritation? NOT Panic! I doubt most scientists think... "blasphemy"? ๐Ÿ˜
But, when you devote your LIFE to working in (Particle) Physics etc., build experiments...
"Work 24/7"... and LAY folkย  sneer at question your work, because they "know better"? ๐Ÿ˜›

In the Old Days, we tried to make science popular... "gave talks", encouraged youngsters
etc. These days, Social Media seems to be replete with LOUD "Renegade Scientists", who
appeal to a kind of "scientific populism"(?):ย  CERN... NASA... are old "fuddy duddies"? ๐Ÿ˜

There are many things (established) Science simply doesn't know!
Would you buy a *Submarine* off some of these... "renegades"? ๐Ÿ˜ฅ
(Sorry -- But many of us felt genuine distress re. such stuff?)

Edited by Macavity

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to this week's "Top Dissenter" - The (onomatopeic?) Alexander Unzicker!
I am intrigued that he feels that ALL P.Physics Data (+ Analysis Programs) should be
released into the Public Domain (even 70's Bubble Chamber Film!) for "Scrutiny"?!? ๐Ÿ˜

Has he ever seen a Scanning Table. If I dump my Snooker Table in the back garden? ๐Ÿ˜

Edited by Macavity

On 27/06/2023 at 18:17, PEMS said:

Asked simialr at a talk: Basically is the standard model still correct?

Reason was simple: Present model cannot construct Dark Matter, why are neutrinos still so difficult to detect. Some event occurred and we were swamped by apparently by billions. 4 were detected. Question - were there billions or just a couple of hundred, of which we only detected 4.

Not sure why physicists would be upset at such a question. As far as I know the standard model is the best we've got, but it is definitely not the last word since (1) it doesn't include gravity, and (2) there are other discrepancies for example it predicts that neutrinos have zero mass, whereas experimental evidence suggests they do have very small mass, which is still unexplained. Also I don't think the standard model explains why there is so much more matter than antimatter.

• Like 1

Watch out Astronomers, Astrophysicists, Cosmologists, they're coming for YOU too... ๐Ÿ˜›
https://youtu.be/H7vCCSgSeQIย  (Unzicker + Pierre-Marrie Robitaille book promotion!)

Imagine... No black holes, no microwave background... Liquid metallic hydrogen Sun.
(The downside of searching for the Mathematics of Theoretical Physics on Youtube?) ๐Ÿ™ƒ
ย 

ย 

Edited by Macavity