NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Horsehead and Flame Nebulae from East London

jonathancd

We have had some good clear nights and as last nights looked to be the last for a while, I took the opportunity to image the Horsehead and Flame Nebulae.   The image was taken using my Altair 533c along with my Skywatcher Equinox 80 and the Altair Triband filter.  It was captured using Sharpcap with stacking and initial processing with Siril and final tweaking with Photoshop.  The image is made up of 510 30 second exposures.  Please with how this has turned out from my Bortle 8 skies.

image.thumb.jpeg.f5ec1d91b1b3e89ad83425cff9a66743.jpeg

• Like 20

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/01/2023 at 22:32, jonathancd said:

We have had some good clear nights and as last nights looked to be the last for a while, I took the opportunity to image the Horsehead and Flame Nebulae.   The image was taken using my Altair 533c along with my Skywatcher Equinox 80 and the Altair Triband filter.  It was captured using Sharpcap with stacking and initial processing with Siril and final tweaking with Photoshop.  The image is made up of 510 30 second exposures.  Please with how this has turned out from my Bortle 8 skies.

image.thumb.jpeg.f5ec1d91b1b3e89ad83425cff9a66743.jpeg

That's a fabulous photo given the location.

I am in north London (zone 2) so know exactly what you are facing with regards to light pollution.  I am just really starting out at the moment and am still just using my AZ GTI in Alt-Z mode (will be moving to EQ mode soon) and took around 40 x 30 seconds of this view last night and I was happy I could see the Flame Nebula and make out a tiny bit of the horsehead but will take some more data over the next few nights as it looks clear.

I find that Siril is handling stacking much better than Affinity or DeepSkyStacker. 

It's all just practice for me at the moment really.

MM.