NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher 120mm f5 for NV and maybe non-NV observing, NOT AP

I understand for a PVS-14/image intensifier, I need a "fast" scope with a wide field of view.  I've heard from a star party that the Skywatcher 120mm f/5 AZ3 refractor is a good one, good price for night vision use.  I'm not interested in astrophotography.  I currently have a Celestron Evo 9.25 but wanted something with a wider field of view to take advantage of night vision. 

Would this scope be a good fit for NV?  I understand I need to change the included 45 degree diagonal to a 90 degree one and get a GSO focuser?  Many other refractors are not as fast and are much higher priced, but I'm never going to be doing AP.   Or any other suggestions?

Here it is:

https://www.highpointscientific.com/sky-watcher-startravel-120mm-az3-refracting-telescope-s10105?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=SKY-S10105&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=18147526044&utm_content=142198545324&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQiAq5meBhCyARIsAJrtdr5wS_rDjsw_2yFN_RlqcH9oTQGx5SB6irQ162CzXUFI49dOmw_XN2AaAnkzEALw_wcB

Edited by Universe93B

Interesting...I'd not heard of this application.  I can't answer your question, but am interested to hear more...so you are converting the telescope into a night vision device?  How is it done?

Thanks,

On 23/01/2023 at 07:31, Alkaid said:

Interesting...I'd not heard of this application.  I can't answer your question, but am interested to hear more...so you are converting the telescope into a night vision device?  How is it done?

Thanks,

I tried this at a star party and the view was amazing!   especially in common light polluted skies.  Televue is now making this much easier - here's their page, they are a dealer for a night vision device and also sell adapters for their eyepieces for an easier setup:

https://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=36