SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Travel mount - SA GTI or AZ GTI? Others?

OK Apricot

Evening all, 

Mrs Apricot and I are going back to Vegas in October, and this time I'd like to make the most of the skies nearby out there. We plan to hire a car, something rugged if we can like a Rav4 or similar so that we can drive out of town. We have booked it specifically around New Moon, temperatures will be comfotable, light pollution very low, and looking at Stellarium shows I'm spoilt for choice for targets. 

I'm planning on taking the mini rig - Sharpstar 61EDPH II, ASI533MC-Pro, Evoguide 50ED, ASI120MM-Mini, ZWO EAF and ASIAIR Plus. This will all fit into a carry on and I'm hoping to get priority boarding to cement a spot for my kit.

Power wise, I'm still looking into it bearing in mind the airline limit of 100WH. I believe items like this also need to be carry on so size is a consideration. I have a plan B where I can power everything from a small inverter using the hire car battery. I digress... 

The mount needs to be portable and have goto, capable of 5min frames etc. So far I have two candidates - the Star Adventurer GTI and the AZ GTI. The SA GTi looks more purpose built for AP ready to go out of the box? The AZ looks like it would need some money spent on it and some modification to get it in the same ballpark, but there's no doubt it can produce results. Are there any other mounts out there that might fit the bill? 

Don't really want to spend more than £500 if I can help it, second hand market is an option if need be. So, what are your thoughts? 

Cheers 🙏

People who've invested into an SAGTI state it's a great mount from what I've read. Other than being a complete package I don't however see where the £500 price comes from (head only), it should at least have a better payload spec. Availability is also still an issue.

When I first looked into goto the azgti fitted the bill as there wasn't anything else really which met my requirement, small, compact and relatively cheap. Been using it for years without any real issue, when seeing is good guiding can be around 0.5 RMS with a guidescope, use an OAG and it's even better.

I'm overloaded with it but it still guides okay, I use a Z61 so similar to your setup. I power it with a Celestron Lithium LT which meets general airline requirements, and get around 3 hours average, 5-6 hours if using alt az mode, temperature makes a difference. Power the asiair, then power everything from the air 12v outs. You'll need another usb power bank if you're going to use dew heaters due to their power draw.

Regarding everything else, I have a small carbon fibre tripod, SW extension pier, WO wedge (the best, I've owned three other manufacturers ones for comparison) and DIY the counterweight bar and weights for around £10-15 or less, and you'll need an eqdir cable with a usb to rj12 connection.

All fits inside a 50L bag, even my previous 40L one.

Further info, see the azgti owners thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1