SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Flaming Star Nebula (and a couple of tadpoles)

Snoani

Hi all

After a dismal December when I hardly saw a clear sky on the Isle of Wight, I have taken advantage of the crisp and even weather that has hit just at the right time this month to spend some extended time to capture the Flaming Star Nebula.  This is a target that I have captured previously but with somewhat disappointing results due to problems with my previous APO.  

This image is a marked improvement although I am hampered by my limited processing skills, which I still need to develop.  Despite owning Pixinsight, I am yet to find a process that works for me when processing LRGB or HaLRGB, although I have found one I like for OSC.  I have therefore processed entirely in Photoshop.  Given the focal length on my scope I was only intending to capture the Flaming Star Nebula itself but the camera was at a different angle than I has realised and so also accidentally included some of the Tadpoles.  I'm generally satisfied but with the data that I have captured I know that it could be processed far better, or at least far more to my liking.  

The image consists of 8 hours of luminance, 4hours of each RGB and 6 hours of Ha.  The equipment used was a William Optics GT81, HEQ5 (Rowan belt) and Baader filters.  I have been experiencing some blue bloat and did here, which I don't think I should be given the scope and I can only think this is due to the blue filter and so I am tempted to buy a new set such as Antilla filters.  However, I don't want to invest if this isn't the issue.  I wonder if anybody else experiences the same using Baader filters?

I'm sure that I will return to this data some day to see if I can achieve a better result.  

image.thumb.jpeg.ccb7210a6239565fd759f1677778dcde.jpeg

• Like 2