Telescopes

The most important thing about observing is where you do it. Almost all deep sky objects are impossible from cities, though the moon and planets can be observed. Do you intend to go out to darker sites than Melbourne? If so, portability will be important.

An excellent starting point would be an 8 inch Dobsonian. This is a Newtonian reflector with a simple but very stable and intuitive mount. Bang for buck, they can't be beaten. They do sometimes need optical adjustment and if this worries you (though it isn't very difficult with an appropriate tool) you might go for a refractor instead.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

Olly

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi and a warm welcome to SGL👍

As mentioned an 8” Dob is a great starting point, but also could easily be a lifetime’s scope without need to upgrade, apart from the eyepieces. And these days there’s many not so expensive eyepieces that are fabulous value for money compared to years ago.

Although the best deep sky observing is out of town away from light pollution there’s many deep sky objects available from town.  Double and multiple stars can be well observed and the whole sky is stuffed with them at all seasons.  Many open and globular clusters, planetary nebulae well within the capability of an 8” Dob.  And please don’t neglect the fainter objects like galaxies, just don’t expect anything but a smudge of light…..but what a truly fabulous smudge when you consider the distance and time involved!

To make the best of a light polluted sky if you can find a place in your backyard that’s free of direct lighting that’s good.

Are there any astronomy clubs near you?  There’s much to be gained by joining one. All the astronomy clubs I’ve met have been welcoming and happy to help. It’s very likely they will know the best places out of town to better observe the fainter deep sky objects.

All the best with your astronomy journey the biggest hobby there is!

Cheers from Ed in the UK👍

I think the 8” Dobsonian is an ideal balance of aperture and size/weight so for visual, that is what I would recommend. There is lot of Dob oriented content on my website below that you might find helpful.

Your best bet is to find a astro club near you and spend some time looking at telescopes.  Amateur astronomers love to show off their toys and will probably let you use it under supervision.  Secondly always consider how you will transport any scope.  The size of your vehicle will determine how big of scope you might get.  The only thing i will add is that it is hard to beat a dob when it comes to bang for your buck.  

Edited by Mike Q

13 minutes ago, Mike Q said:

Secondly always consider how you will transport any scope.  The size of your vehicle will determine how big of scope you might get.  The only thing i will add is that it is hard to beat a dob when it comes to bang for your buck.  

This is especially pertinent advice in the UK, where we don't all drive around in Ford F450s. ;)

I read, somewhere, that the 1200 mm focal length that is popular on Dobs was chosen to allow the tube to fit across the back seat of most cars. I know that it even fits in my Peugeot 107, which is about as small as cars get. The base is the problem, as it has to straddle the tube as it won't fit in the boot, which is why I would normally transport it in the Land Rover.

12 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

This is especially pertinent advice in the UK, where we don't all drive around in Ford F450s. ;)

I read, somewhere, that the 1200 mm focal length that is popular on Dobs was chosen to allow the tube to fit across the back seat of most cars. I know that it even fits in my Peugeot 107, which is about as small as cars get. The base is the problem, as it has to straddle the tube as it won't fit in the boot, which is why I would normally transport it in the Land Rover.

A Ford 450? Now that is a serious truck lol.  My 10 inch fits in the back seat of Chevy 1500 with a bit of room on each end. 

2 minutes ago, Mike Q said:

A Ford 450? Now that is a serious truck lol.  My 10 inch fits in the back seat of Chevy 1500 with a bit of room on each end. 

Don't forget, it is all single track cart lanes with sheep roaming down them in the UK where everyone drives a Mini (the original, not the one on steroids!). Hollywood portrays the UK exactly as it is, you know, complete with red double decker buses and phone boxes. You are a pariah if you dare to own or drive a Land Rover over here. 🤣

12 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

The most important thing about observing is where you do it. Almost all deep sky objects are impossible from cities, though the moon and planets can be observed. Do you intend to go out to darker sites than Melbourne? If so, portability will be important.

An excellent starting point would be an 8 inch Dobsonian. This is a Newtonian reflector with a simple but very stable and intuitive mount. Bang for buck, they can't be beaten. They do sometimes need optical adjustment and if this worries you (though it isn't very difficult with an appropriate tool) you might go for a refractor instead.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

Olly

Thank you for recommending the Dobsonian, as well, I do intend to go to darker sites as I go camping with my brother every so often. I will make sure to look into it and hopefully get it. Thank you.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

Don't forget, it is all single track cart lanes with sheep roaming down them in the UK where everyone drives a Mini (the original, not the one on steroids!). Hollywood portrays the UK exactly as it is, you know, complete with red double decker buses and phone boxes. You are a pariah if you dare to own or drive a Land Rover over here. 🤣

Here, in farm country, 4x4 pickups are the preferred vehicle of choice lol.  Not that we dont have cars, but winter is a time when a good 4 wheel drive is needed. 

1 hour ago, Mandy D said:

Minis?  What?  I thought you all drove Aston Martins.