Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M51

Rodd

This one is a bit subtle, but I do believe the reprocess is a bit sharper.  You be the judge.  I reprocessed the data from scratch using Blur Exterminator in linear state.  

TOA 130 and ASI 1600--about 24 hours integration (9 hours of Ha)

Reprocess

Image09da.thumb.jpg.22cd654acf77b4ab230ee89d7aa7ed3c.jpg

Original

FQAj6oRa_cSq_16536x0_EwouY30K.thumb.jpg.e307036183dcc130e41cc99996c08b1e.jpg

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 10

The difference is subtle, but the reprocess is better in many parts to my eyes. Particularly the parts on the trailing edge of M51 (opposite side to the companion galaxy) and between the trailing arm and the main body have propped themselves up. Dustlanes around the cores of both galaxies and bright blue star forming regions are better observed in the reprocess.

Both are images to be very proud of in my book anyway!

12 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

The difference is subtle, but the reprocess is better in many parts to my eyes. Particularly the parts on the trailing edge of M51 (opposite side to the companion galaxy) and between the trailing arm and the main body have propped themselves up. Dustlanes around the cores of both galaxies and bright blue star forming regions are better observed in the reprocess.

Both are images to be very proud of in my book anyway!

Thanks Onikkinen. I feel the same. Problem the biggest difference is the ease of processing. It took me weeks to process the original and about 30 minutes for the reprocess.  Granted, I have processed this data a thousand times. But still, it took me a lot of effort to pull the details I got (many iterations of sharpening). The reprocess included 1 iteration of blur exterminator 

5 hours ago, Lee_P said:

Both outstanding! I think the reprocess has the edge, slightly more pleasing contrast to my eyes. Not much in it though. 

Yeah, I know. Maybe because I only spent 30 min in processing.  Then again, a particular data set can only be so good. Maybe I have pushed this data as far as it can go.  Need to relocate to Bortle 1!

• Haha 2