NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

vdB 14, vdB 15, Sh2-202 and Stock 23 (OSC)

GalaxyGael

My latest and likely last image of 2022 was the mixed reflection and emission nebulosity region around the vdB14/15 and Sharpless 202. Captured with OSC and a small 60 mm refractor, which I borrowed and really like.

Toyed with more severe star reduction but I like starfields too much and nebulae are best supporting actors (to me) in broadband, so this is the compromise that I like that shows the slight hazy reflection on thin dusty overlayers such as near Stock 23.

Some acquisition details:

Askar FRA300 quintuplet, 300mm at f/5

ASI2600MC Pro at gain 100 and -10°C

610 × 120 s (20h20')

OAG with 290mini and iOptron GEM45 

Processed in APP and PS CS5

Clear skies all

90795877_a0800713-afc0-47f6-9a3e-17af019e4504(2).thumb.jpg.6039d746948174ccf2eaf1e3f3c340a6.jpg

Edited by GalaxyGael
Added processing software
  • Like 12

6 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Very nice indeed: soft blues, central red region and wonderful star field colours.  You got the balance between stars and nebula just right imho. 

Thanks Adam, stars and all their clustering are my favourite of all objects even though whats behind them was tempting to exaggerate. The reds with zero filtered broadband appeals to me too when it comes out right, when the colours are mixed with dust, reflection nebulosity etc.

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Very deep indeed on the VdBs. We don't often see this one, the Heart and Soul grabbing all the attention, but it's a nice region. The Stock cluster is lovely.

Olly

Thanks Olly, I had two clear and very cold nights where the 60% moon didn't rise above the roof tops until later in the night. First of a couple of images where I had a scope this wide, liking it a lot including the ability to carry the whole assembled rig out in one piece.

• Like 1

Just now, GalaxyGael said:

Thanks Adam, stars and all their clustering are my favourite of all objects even though whats behind them was tempting to exaggerate. The reds with zero filtered broadband appeals to me too when it comes out right, when the colours are mixed with dust, reflection nebulosity etc.

You're right. There is something nice about going deep in RGB rather than taking the Ha shortcut to deep nebulosity. The dusty stuff in the scene gets under-exposed and overwhelmed by the emission.

Olly