NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dropped 2" filter on carpet!

Hi all! I'm really new to this game, and I'm interested in imaging. I've started out in a bortle 8-9 area, so I invested in an L-eXtreme filter to try and help cut out a bit of the light pollution. Trouble is, I'm clumsy, and while trying to screw it onto my field flattner a couple of nights ago, I dropped it on a carpeted floor.

I can't see any actual damage, but I can see a couple of tiny hairs stuck to the surface of the filter. Is there any way to clean a filter? I haven't had a chance to try and actually image with it after dropping it because the skies have been awful, but I'm terrified I've ruined it! 

A manual bulb air blower.

Although it's good practice to not touch the surface of a filter, sometimes I also use a clean microfibre cloth, then finish with the air blower.

Your flat calibration frames will take out any remaining dust on the filter in your images (though I'll doubt they'd be much anyway after cleaning).

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

Just now, Elp said:

A manual bulb air blower.

Although it's good practice to not touch the surface of a filter, sometimes I also use a clean microfibre cloth, then finish with the air blower.

Thank you! I'll get my hands on one and see what I can do. I'm reluctant to actually touch it unless it's a last resort, but clearly it being covered in debris isn't good for it either. Hopefully I haven't ruined it too much, I can't afford a replacement right now.

The coatings on most (good quality) filters are incredibly hard and can take a beating so if you have to touch it to clean it you neednt worry much about scratching it. Obviously you have to get rid of any particulates of dust before that, rubbing it in is a great way to grind the coatings off.

But for fingerprints, grubby hand marks and so on you can wipe it clean safely.

After using the blower, use a light rolling/flicking motion with a clean microfiber cloth like a vacuum beater bar does to carpets to get more stubborn particles lifted off the surface.  DO NOT SCRUB THE FILTER SURFACE with any cloth.  You will likely scratch it with unseen microdebris.

Hi @InTheWakeOfStardust and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

As previously mentioned, a manual bulb blower is the best thing to get rid of the FOD [Foreign Object Debris].  I have a 'rocket' blower.

When you are satisfied 99.9% has been removed, use a soft bristled brush, ie camel hair or an unused make-up brush, followed by a gentle wipe with a microfibre cloth.
If using Baader Optical Wonder Fluid, apply it to the cloth. If using disposable lens wipes, one swipe, two at most if it is big enough, then bin it, and use a fresh one.
Also a good idea and what I do and that is to wear a face mask when cleaning anything optical... 😷 

Aerosol/compressed air sprays can or may leave a residue or streaks and are best avoided.