Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astromaster 90EQ Help w. Latitude Scale and a few Qs

Hi everyone,

I recently bought my first telescope, a Celstron Astromaster 90EQ. I haven't had a chance to try it out, because I am away from home at the moment, but it gives me a chance to to some reading while I am away (Polar alignment, charts, and such...)

I bought this telescope after much deliberation and reading, and considering what I want to do and by budget and so on. I have no prior experience with amateur astronomy, let that be known. I imported the scope, because telescope equipment is very expensive where I live.

When it arrived, which was also the day I left home, I had some time to set it up and look at it (in the day time). I thought it was odd that I couldn't see the latitude scale, which looking at pictures of the scope I am pretty sure should be there (See picture of presumed missing scale). I don't want the frustration of returning it, because it's imported.

attachment.php?attachmentid=20743&stc=1&d=1238711369

Is there a kind person out there who owns a scope with the same Celestron CG 3-2 mount, who can take a picture (as flat on as possible) of the latitude scale and post it here?

From the picture I can scale it and etch it on copper and glue it to the mount (accurately enough I hope).

I also have a few questions about the scope I hope someone can bother to answer me.

1. What kind of eyepieces does this scope have? I didn't get to study them that much before I left, I only know they are a 10mm and a 20mm. I assume they are of the 'cheap' kind.

2. I only got to see through it in day-time, and this could also be because the scope was brought in cold: The view seemed somewhat white washed. Is there something wrong? Is it a badly colminated refractor, or could this just be dew or something?

3. Celstron markets their mounts as CG 2-3, CG-4, etc. And everyone else as EQ-1, EQ-2, and so on. Can someone explain to me what that means and what are the differences between the two conventions?

Other than that, l'm looking forward to using this when I return, catch a glimpse of the heavens above. And compliments to this forum and its users, it has been a great source of information. Thank you for your answer.

post-16339-13387736429_thumb.jpg

Archived