SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher 190MN and ZWO EAF

I'm attempting to install a ZWO EAF on my "new to me" 190MN. What I need to do is reorientate the focuser so that the dual speed side is at the front of scope so that the EAF does not protrude at the front with cables sticking yet further out.

With this being new to me, I don't really want to find out how this is done by willy nilly undoing bolts to "see what this does". I know on some newts, the dual speed is simply reorientated by removing four screes from the bottom plate, then swapping the focuser controls about and reinstating the bottom plate.  Anyone know what is the proper way to re-orientate the stock focuser that comes with the 190MN?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Well, I threw caution to the wind, with nothing I've done appearing to be irretrievable. Four allen nuts removed from the underside, another one to release the dual speed side. With the single speed knob already removed, the entirety of the dual speed side came straight out. Careful examination how it all came apart/went together made for a reasonably easy re-assemble, but with the manual control simply reversed.

All ready now to do the final attachment of the EAF tomorrow. Will have to apply power to this before final connection so that the flat on the motor spindle is facing away from the tube in order to be in a position to tighten the grub screw of the flexi-drive onto the flat. Final check that all is aligned and no rubbing anywhere when under power. 

Hope the above helps anyone else facing this for the first time.

Mark 

Hi Mark,

Thanks for posting this and allowing me to follow your progress. I’m debating getting the 190MN but it seems everyone upgrades the focuser to a moonlite (which doesn’t sell manual focuser at the moment), and I really would prefer using a ZWO EAF as I’m deep in their ecosystem already (camera, computer, focuser..). Curious what camera and what your setup looks like as most threads from owners I read are years and years old.

(For reference sake, my other contender are more more expensive refractors like the FLT132. I use a Redcat 51 right now exclusively and I want to make a larger upgrade to see galaxies/planets and DSO details better)

The dual speed focuser is held in its base plate by four small allen (grub) screws. They are oriented along the length of the scope, two on each side. Easiest is to loosen those and rotate the whole focuser to your desired orientation. If you loosen just the focuser axle, you will need to adjust the tension afterwards. If you rotate the entire focuser, you don't need to adjust anything.

You should NEVER EVER move or remove the base plate of the focuser, because the focuser position is critical. Neither should you ever move the secondary mirror up or down the scope tube. Either can mess up collimation.

Edited by wimvb

3 hours ago, X0D said:

it seems everyone upgrades the focuser to a moonlite

Feathertouch is an alternative to MoonLite. They can supply a collar that fits the baseplate of the original focuser. But beware, the manufacturer has a long lead time. I ordered mine in August. ETA sometime after New Year.