NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ASIAIR plus question

lee g

My wife has bought me an ASIAIR plus for Xmas this will be powering a ZWO ASI224MC camera on my CPC800. this will be used mainly for eaa so obviously live stacking. My issue is my current iPad mini 4 has only got 3GB RAM and not the required 4GB do you think this would have a noticeable affect on the performance of this setup? I’m mostly worried about live stacking.

I have just bought an asi air plus today with a ASI585 MC and I also bought a new tablet to use with them. I also read that the tablet should be a minimum of 4GB RAM. So I bought one due to this. I could have gotten a cheaper one but for that recommendation. Why say it if it’s meaningless?

• Thanks 1

Yes this whole issue doesn’t seem very clear to me. As bosun21 states “If it’s meaningless” ie because the Asiair + does all the processing then why state it.

my worry is that the tablet would require more RAM when using the live stacking feature therefore having to constantly update the image as well as possibly running another app such as SkySafari pro. 
it would be helpful to hear from users who have experience in using their Asiair + for eaa ie live stacking.

• Like 1

More to do with your WiFi speed transfer rate, strength of signal from the asiair. The asiair doesn't stop processing because the connecting device cannot keep up (you'll find the spec of the asiair isn't even that great being based on a raspberry pi). From my experience, computing devices very rarely use 4Gb RAM in anything, the processor is usually the source of any bottleneck as it's what does the heavy lifting for any processing task. RAM is useful for read/write operations where data is pre stored for the processor to determine what to do with it next. I've done live stacking with various mobile phones and it works fine, the tablet spec issue will come down to whether it's compatible with the asiair app (operating system version etc).

• Thanks 1