Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Problem slewing to ngc 188

woldsman

Forecast was not great tonight so decided to image NGC 188 as it’s an open cluster. Luminance filter went fine but after focussing the green filter manually at Dubhe, I was unable to slew back to the target. Scope insisted on going to RA 2 39 31 DEC 84 27 24. This was around 11.10pm U.K. time.  Target coordinates were RA 00 48 25 DEC 85 14 59. I realise proximity of NGC 188 to Polaris must be the issue but I don’t know or can’t work out what the exact impediment is. Can anyone put me right?

If the target was close to the zenith when you tried to slew back to it, I would check your mount safety limits (if you have them).  I had a similar difficulty recently on my Losmandy G11.   Both my East and West safety limits were set to less than 90 degrees following the installation of a new and much larger camera and filter wheel.  This had the effect of preventing the mount from accessing an area around the Zenith.  When I increased the safety limit on the West to 120 degrees (still safe for my set up) I could access the zenith again.

On 17/11/2022 at 20:13, AMcD said:

If the target was close to the zenith when you tried to slew back to it, I would check your mount safety limits (if you have them).  I had a similar difficulty recently on my Losmandy G11.   Both my East and West safety limits were set to less than 90 degrees following the installation of a new and much larger camera and filter wheel.  This had the effect of preventing the mount from accessing an area around the Zenith.  When I increased the safety limit on the West to 120 degrees (still safe for my set up) I could access the zenith again.

Thanks for replying. I think you are spot on!