Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First time observer - Binoculars desired to support learning

This is my second post here. My first explained how how intend to enter this hobby slowly, by reading and simply observing and learning the night sky.

I usually rush into things too quickly so I'm curtailing my nature and I'm already pleased to have made this decision. By browsing this forum I'm already gaining interest in things I never thought would appeal. 

Now, for those who would like to help me spend a little money.....  

I'd like to buy an entry level pair of binoculars so I can get a little closer to clusters, perhaps even make an attempt at the Orion Nebula - I'm not expecting much but I do live under reasonably dark skies and the milky way is obvious with the naked eye, it would be good to explore a little closer.

I'm after a fairly wide field of view because I want to jump around constellations and obvious waypoints as I learn. It seems a set of 7x50 or 10x50 would fit the bill. I have a budget of up to say £150. 

Do you have any recommendations for where I should start please? 

I started about two months ago with a Celestron G2 upclose 10x50. I can't say how good it is comparing with others because I only used this binocular. But giving its size and price, I am happy with it. Together with a skysafari plus, I have learnt quite a bit of sky. I still remember how excited I am when I find M31 using this binocular.

Initially I was frustrated with the shaking picture. Then I bought a L-bracket to attach it on my photo tripod. But after some time, I decided to not use tripod for convenience.

Great news starhiker! I'm pleased to hear of your progress.

I plan on just laying back in a camping chair, wrapped in a storm jacket and blanket, lazily gazing at the heavens. 

I figure all I'll need is some binoculars, a star map, and maybe a red lens torch. 

I can hit one if the highest points in Dorset in about 10mins, so a portable setup such as this would be a great way to start. 

Have a look on this site (the author is also a member on this site), good recommendations on what to buy or avoid:

http://binocularsky.com/

If you're going to hand-hold and want best portability, probably wisest to go 8x42 or 10x50 at most and even those benefit from support. Look on the site above also for methods to maximise stability when hand-holding. Most folk get it wrong (that included me) and it makes a noticeable difference when you use the right technique. He also has excellent reviews on various models.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nitecoda said:

a star map

One of the most used star maps:

https://shopatsky.com/products/pocket-sky-atlas-second-edition

Best paired with a planetarium smartphone app, e.g. SkySafari 6 Plus, or Stellarium. Allows you to display a  field of view, that matches exactly the view with your binoculars or telescope.

Stephan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wulfrun said:

Have a look on this site (the author is also a member on this site), good recommendations on what to buy or avoid:

http://binocularsky.com/

If you're going to hand-hold and want best portability, probably wisest to go 8x42 or 10x50 at most and even those benefit from support. Look on the site above also for methods to maximise stability when hand-holding. Most folk get it wrong (that included me) and it makes a noticeable difference when you use the right technique. He also has excellent reviews on various models.

Thank you, I shall take a look here at reviews. I had visited, including the sister site, but hadn't looked at the product reviews. Thank you.

12 minutes ago, Nyctimene said:

One of the most used star maps:

https://shopatsky.com/products/pocket-sky-atlas-second-edition

Best paired with a planetarium smartphone app, e.g. SkySafari 6 Plus, or Stellarium. Allows you to display a  field of view, that matches exactly the view with your binoculars or telescope.

Stephan

I now have stellarium, thank you. 

• Like 1