NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Scope counterbalance tips

Any practical tips for counterbalancing a slightly top-heavy closed tube 150mm Dob. When angled at anything lower than 45 degrees the scope slowly drifts downwards due to heavy eyepieces. Need some kind of moveable weight (magnets) around the prime mirror end of the tube. I'm sure I am not alone with this niggle, so it would be interesting to know if there is a very simple solution, apart from the obvious, as I don't intend changing eyepieces.

Edited by azrabella

a simple magnetic strip and steel weight will likely work but really you need distance from pivot AND height adjustment to get perfect balance in all axes. ADM make a nice looking kit but it’s not cheap- 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-counterweight-kits/adm-mini-dovetail-counterweight-celestron-8-kit.html

Baader do a rail mounted weight too.

I made a counterbalance weight from roofing lead and spaced it with packing foam sheet to get the height right. It’s held to the tube with a luggage strap so easily adjusted for different eyepieces and no mods to the ota. It’s spaced further than this image now with an extra layer of 20mm foam.

Mark

8B786DE1-8638-4E86-AA0C-2722E2956ADA.jpeg

99F98042-40DC-44B4-937F-AE3602834E02.jpeg