NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A few doubles and disappointment with Jupiter

grjsk

18. october, 2022: Langhus, Norway (60°N, 11°E) – Bortle 6 

Seeing: Pickering 5, Transparency: Mag 4

Equipment: 72mm doublet, AZ-GTI on a Leofoto LM-363c tripod, 32mm Celestron Plossl, Baader Mark IV zoom, Nagler 3-6mm zoom

I usually only view the planets for a couple of minutes before I move on. Since I knew the Great Red Spot would be visible, and that a shadow transit would happen this evening, I decided to spend some time on Jupiter. I started with my usual seeing and transparency check. I used the southern most part of Piscium to determine transparency: Gamma Piscium (mag 3.7) was clearly visible, and I could barely spot Omega Piscium (mag 4) as well with averted vision. Iota Piscium at mag 4.1 was not visible however. I used Capella for seeing. It was quite a bit of motion, so no better than Pickering 5 I think.

Jupiter

I went straight for Jupiter, and was instantly disappointment. It was rather soft, and nothing but the equatorial bands were visible. It was quite bright, so I tried a Baader Neutral Density filter, but I really didn’t like the look. Im guessing something like the Baader Contrast Booster might be a better fit. It’s on the list of possible future purchases. I tried to catch the transit of Io, but I was struggling. I get it in the end, but I was unable to hold on to it for long. Conditions weren’t too great. Since the Great Red Spot has not arrived yet, I went for some doubles instead.

77 Psc – Mag: 6.3, 7,3 - Sep: 33”

Easy split with the 32mm (13,5x). Is it a hint of yellow there? I switch to the Baader zoom, and goes through it from 24mm (18x) to 8mm (54x). It’s rather colorless all the way to 8mm. I change to the Nagler zoom, and I do think the color improves ever so slightly at 6mm (72x). No real benefit of going to the 3mm (144x).

Zeta Piscium – Mag: 5.2, 6.3 – Sep: 23”

Another split with the 32mm (13,5x). Rather colorless to my eyes. It’s an asterism right below the double, looking like a bat or the batman-symbol. It’s spearheaded by 88 Piscium, a star looking somewhat pale yellow. Again the Baader zoom does not really reveal any more color, but there is the slightest touch of yellow when I pass 100x in the Nagler zoom.

Jupiter

I go back to Jupiter, but the conditions have not improved. I spend 15-20 min on it, without any seeing a lot more. The Great Red Spot is suppose to be barely visible at the edge, but I can’t see it. I’m struggling with the eyepiece fogging up. The eye relief on the Nagler zoom is pretty tight, so I need to get real close, and that doesn’t seem to help. I notice that the red dot finder is actually dripping with dew, and there is a lot of moisture in the air. I decide to check out one more double to give the Great Red Dot a bit more time to get in a better position.

Pi Arietis – Mag: 5.3, 8 – Sep: 3.2”

Conditions has become worse. At 3.2” it should be a possibility with my scope, but I am not even close. The eyepiece is continuing to fog up, so I give Jupiter a last chance.

Jupiter.

Nope. Horrible views. Time to pack up.

While walking home I notice that the moisture in the air is having a rave party around the light poles. I guess there was nothing more to be done this evening. I regret that I didn’t do a final star test, but I’m guessing I was down to Pickering 2 or 3 at the end. I guess the night was a failure, but I got a bit of fresh air and a bit of time under the stars, so I am not complaining.

• Like 5