Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where or how to repair ETX 105 mount.

My new-to-me ETX 105 has a busted Az/RA drive. Motor whirrs but mount doesn't move. I popped it open to have a look and a part of the gearbox housing has broken, causing the gears to misalign and be disengaged.

Does anyone know either somewhere/someone who can repair these, preferably in the West Midlands, or where I could obtain spare parts.

Meade UK don't seem to have it, they have the gearbox for the smaller ones but not the 105, https://www.meadeuk.com/Meade-Spare-Parts.html

22-10-12 21-05-11 0266.jpg

22-10-12 21-05-17 0267.jpg

22-10-12 21-05-27 0268.jpg

22-10-12 21-05-34 0269.jpg

• Like 1

You could try ENS Optical at Birmingham.  They have all sorts of second hand astronomy kit. You may have to buy a complete mount, or you may get lucky and get just the part you need.

Their website says they’re away at the moment. Search the website, or wait until they return and phone. Steve Astbury knows his stuff, I’ve found him helpful in the past.  His prices are high, but his knowledge and service is very good.

If you cannot sort it, the ETX optical tube assemblies can be removed from the mount fairly easily, and fitted to something like a german equatorial mount (GEM) with drive to the RA.  Google “deforking a Meade ETX”.

Another possibility is “Weasners ETX site”.  Don’t know if it’s still online, but if available it’s a source of everything imaginable about all models of the ETX. Keep searching, lots of links to further links.

Hope you sort it.

Ed.

Edited by NGC 1502
Extra info
  • Like 1