Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Clicklock system advice please.

As a comparative newbie I am confused about Clicklock systems. I use 2 scopes for visual, an Orion 80ed for wide field and a Mak 127 for lunar and planetary.

Twice recently my 1.25" diagonal has done an abrupt rotation from vertical to facing the ground, luckily my Baader zoom eyepiece did not fall out but my heart rate accelerated immediately!

I'm trying to get to grips with understanding the Baader system particularly in relation to the different systems I am using. My main question: is there one Clicklock device that will fit both scopes that I can simply slip my 1.25" diagonal into and can be transferred between scopes or am I faced with buying 2 different Clicklock devices.

Thanks for looking.

I have a 2" Baader ClickLock clamp on the back of my Skymax 127. It's this one, and in my case, it required this adapter to be fitted to the back of the scope. It is a very solid clamp, but it locks so well that sometimes to loosen it I feel like I might move the scope alignment.

I also have a 1.25" Baader ClickLock clamp fixed permanently to my 1.25" diagonal. It's this one. This ClickLock clamp is not as good as the 2" as the smaller size requires a different design. It is fine for quick release of eyepieces but I wouldn't trust it with a diagonal and zoom.

My advice would be to fit 2" ClickLocks to both of your scopes.

• Thanks 1

Thinking about this question some more, I find that 2" clamps in general are much more secure than 1.25". I've considered putting another Baader 2" ClickLock on my refractor but decided instead to stick with the three thumb screw clamp that came with the scope, mainly because it doesn't need the same man handling that the 2" ClickLock requires. I've never had a problem with either of these 2" clamps slipping. That may be because I use a Baader 1.25" prism diagonal permanently fitted with a 2" nosepiece on the scope side and the 1.25" ClickLock on the eyepiece side. When I say permanently, I mean that they are screwed in very tight so there is no chance of them coming loose. This arrangement means I don't need a 2" / 1.25" adapter which presents a slipping risk when it is on the scope side of the diagonal.

So, with both my Skymax 127 and refractor the arrangement is:

• 2" clamp - 2" nosepiece - 1.25" diagonal - 1.25" clamp

2" ClickLock with the Skymax 127 and 2" thumb screw with the refractor.

• Like 1

In general, the levers on Clicklocks don't need tightening much before they grip. Tighten them too much and they're more difficult to loosen.

I have a 2" - > 1.25" Clicklock adaptor, which works very well.

Edited by cajen2
  • Like 1