SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ASI air plus plate solving

Detec

Good morning, Last night I actually had a clear night for the first time in weeks. I got out my new ASI 585mc camera and decided to take pics of Jupiter on my ED-120 refractor.

I hadnt connected the ASI 585mc to the refractor before, I had it on my celestron C8 and it worked perfectly. But last night I could not get the ASIair plus to polar align, it would not plate solve. I thought maybe my focusing was out so I used the bahtenov mask to obtain perfect focus. It found 43 stars but I still could not polar align & plate solve.  I tried powering off and starting again and still the same. The ASIair has version 1.91 (9.97) running which has been fine up till now. So I am wondering if the problem was connecting the ASI585mc to the refractor could be the problem or the ASIair?

In the end I tried ignoring the polar alignment, and tried to goto Jupiter. It missed Jupiter but found 212 stars but still wouldnt plate solve. So I spent 3 hours and didnt do anything.

Has anyone else had this type of problem?

I've had similar but sounds like you've got the experience using it to troubleshoot the usual issues. I've only ever had it due to the following:

1. The obvious doh moment but the scope is too low and pointing to a building/fence,

2. Dewed over scope, even a little,

3. FWHM stars around 4+, this sometimes happens also due to point 2.

Have you got another camera you can try whilst the 585 is doing its no-go as that will eliminate the asi air unit being the route cause, I sometime switch on the fly between guidescope cam and main cam if I get issues which sometimes helps fault finding whilst outside.

Edited by Elp

1 hour ago, Elp said:

I've had similar but sounds like you've got the experience using it to troubleshoot the usual issues. I've only ever had it due to the following:

1. The obvious doh moment but the scope is too low and pointing to a building/fence,

2. Dewed over scope, even a little,

3. FWHM stars around 4+, this sometimes happens also due to point 2.

Have you got another camera you can try whilst the 585 is doing its no-go as that will eliminate the asi air unit being the route cause, I sometime switch on the fly between guidescope cam and main cam if I get issues which sometimes helps fault finding whilst outside.

I checked if the lens had dew but it was fine.

1 hour ago, Budgie1 said:

Did you change the scope focal length setting in the ASIAir from your C8 to that of the ED120, or are they the same?

I changed the focal length and also tried entering "0" so it would decide itself.

All I could think about in the end is that ASIair was a bit corrupted somehow. So today I have reset to factory and then updated. The only problem now is I probably have to wait five or six weeks for a clear night.

• Like 2